Simple replication questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
I really have tried to read about this but there seem to be ambiguities. I plan to set up replication of my whole pool (I have a single one) recursively:

Will the replicated data contain all the datasets and other data elements under the name of my pool (which is 'vola' for clarity), in other words will the replicated data look like a directory structure based on a directory called vola?

Is there any information (such as permissions) that will not be replicated on the receiving server/pool?

Does replication have to be to the root of a zpool, or can it be inside a dataset or zvol on the receiving server?

Apologies if the answers are obvious. And I am assuming that if I am working on the new server I can create a clone of one of the replicated snapshots, so I am not even asking that!

Many thanks,

Roger

D

dlavigne

Were you able to figure these out? In a nutshell, since snapshots are what gets replicated and a snapshot is basically a picture of what the filesystem looked like at that point in time, you don't lose anything.

rogerh

Guru
Thanks - I thought I knew the answers: but I can't find an unequivocal statement that you can replicate a pool within a dataset on the receiving system. And I did read a thread on here where it was claimed that permissions were not reproduced on the new system. So I just wanted some reassurance before I plan my backups. But I dare say I will find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.