Shell Commands

TR4L

Dabbler
Is there a place that lists the commands for shell? I tried to read up on it in the documentation but it's confusing to me.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is there a place that lists the commands for shell? I tried to read up on it in the documentation but it's confusing to me.
It is FreeBSD with some functionality restricted. If there is something you want to do, ask and someone will tell you if it needs to be done in the GUI, can be done from the command line, or if it needs to be done in a jail because it can't be done in the command line of FreeNAS due to restrictions of the appliance, because FreeNAS is an appliance operating system that is based on FreeBSD but it has significant restrictions on what you are able to do unless you can dig into it far enough... If you are able to do that, you should probably be working on the development team, but if you do that, you are basically making your own version of the system.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. If you are going to do much at the command line, you should enable SSH so you can do a remote terminal. The shell within the GUI is not good enough to do any serious work. I use it a fair bit myself because you can do some good work there, it is just that you can't expect to change system settings from the command line when they are intended to be set from the GUI.

TR4L

Dabbler
Well the reason I ask is because I don't want to always have to login to the GUI to check on the system. I have a monitor and keyboard attached to my NAS at all times. I can just flick it on and get to work. I'll look some up. I've had a lot of problems with My NAS since building it back in 2016 and want to make sure the system is kosher.

Redcoat

MVP
Did you try typing "help" (no quotes) ?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

TR4L

Dabbler

sretalla