SOLVED SFP+ DAC Cable for Chelsio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pliqui

Dabbler
Hi All,

I recently finish my build (full specs there) and I have an issue with the 10gb connection and at this point it might be the QLE8152 on the ESXi 6.5 or the DAC cables.

When installing the Chelsio NetApp Dual Port SFP+ 10GbE PCIe 111-00603+A0 CC2-S320E-SR 100-1082-00 in FreeNAS it recognized it right away.

When installing the QLE8152 in ESXi 6.5, at first did not recognized it, but then installing the propers VIBs worked, now the host see both the FC and Ethernet adapter.

But when connecting the cables the links are down in both ends. Not using a switch, direct connection.

Why I say it might be the ESXi? because of this post and I will quote user tby: "Well, turned out I needed to add another VIB for the qlge driver to get IP connectivity" which might be the same issue I'm facing. But wasn't being able to find this "missing" VIB.

As my old boss used to say, 80% of the time are the cables. So I want to rule out the cable before looking into new cards, currently using 10Gtek for Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M,10GBASE-CU Direct Attach Copper Cable, Twinax Cable, Passive, 1-Meter (this cable is compatible wit the QLE8152)

Can any one recommend a SFP+ DAC compatible cable for the Chelsio adapter.

Thanks,

kdragon75

Wizard
Are they dual port cards? Have you tried a sudo loopback? The passive cables are just that, no logic. Tough some vendors me do non standard things...

Pliqui

Dabbler
Are they dual port cards? Have you tried a sudo loopback? The passive cables are just that, no logic. Tough some vendors me do non standard things...
Yes, both models are dual port cards, I did not perform the test, will do it when I get home.

Thanks,

Pliqui

Dabbler
The second I connected the cable the media status changed from "no carrier" to "active".

At this point the only thing fro troubleshoot is the QLE8152. The green lights are blinking with or without cables (does not get the link connected as FreeNaS).

I started a different thread in reddit for the ESXI. I think I will replace that NIC a with a 10Gtek for Intel 82599ES Chip Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520-DA2

Thanks,

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The X520-DA2 has been *the* choice for ESXi for years, for good reason. Plus they're cheapish now.

Pliqui

Dabbler
The X520-DA2 has been *the* choice for ESXi for years, for good reason. Plus they're cheapish now.
Yes, lesson learned. But troubleshooting is always fun :). I bought like 30 mins ago à 10gtek X520-DA2 from Amazon. It will arrive in 2 days and update this post with a (hopefully ) closed tag.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.