Setup Personal Server to Use as Proxy/Off Site Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freethenas

Cadet
Hello all,

I have a simple issue that I think can be solved with FreeNAS. I basically want to create a personal server solution that allows me to do two things:

1.) I want to be able to remotely backup data to my server.

2.) I want to be able to pass traffic through it and use it as a proxy.

I am off to college next year and I want to leave a computer/server back home to do the two things stated above. I was thinking of using an Asus Eee Box PC like this:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-EB1007-B0...2000374&sr=8-3

I want a low power reliable machine that will only be used as a remote solution. I won't be hooking up a monitor to it (that is, after I set it up).

It will be on 24/7 for easy access.

I will be accessing this server from a Windows 7 based machine.

All help is greatly appreciated!

ProtoSD

MVP
Have a look at my system specs in my Signature below. It's a mini-itx, very low power, and I'm pretty happy with it.

As for your #2 proxy server, it's not a standard part of FreeNAS, but I'm sure there might be a hack to get it done.

Also, your amazon link doesn't work, it says "The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site ".

Freethenas

Cadet
Have a look at my system specs in my Signature below. It's a mini-itx, very low power, and I'm pretty happy with it.

As for your #2 proxy server, it's not a standard part of FreeNAS, but I'm sure there might be a hack to get it done.

Also, your amazon link doesn't work, it says "The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site ".
Thank you protosd,
Correct link: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-EB1007-B0410-EeeBox-Mini-Desktop/dp/B004GVWJ44/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312000374&sr=8-3

Is FreeNas accessed via a GUI only, or is there SSH/Terminal access as well?

ProtoSD

MVP
You're welcome Freethenas,

You can access it with SSH also.

Not sure if that system will work well for you. Your disks need to be installed internally with SATA, not USB. It doesn't look like that's possible with that system.

Darkaine

Explorer
Possibly but only because you need proxy functionality, however that's what I had before I came to FreeNAS. Since I got FreeNAS on that system, I've never looked back. However as proto said, There is more than likely a way to get proxy functionality into FreeNAS, especially since (I believe) its open source. In fact I think that legally it has to be.

Also about the system you want to use. Assuming it'll boot from usb, however I too recommend building one (Mini-ITX preferably) that suits your direct needs. Its just better that way to avoid shortcomings.

Freethenas

Cadet
Possibly but only because you need proxy functionality, however that's what I had before I came to FreeNAS. Since I got FreeNAS on that system, I've never looked back. However as proto said, There is more than likely a way to get proxy functionality into FreeNAS, especially since (I believe) its open source. In fact I think that legally it has to be.

Also about the system you want to use. Assuming it'll boot from usb, however I too recommend building one (Mini-ITX preferably) that suits your direct needs. Its just better that way to avoid shortcomings.
That is a good point, it is in fact open source so there must be some way to enable proxy functionality. And I just want to clarify, I can access my freenas box even if I am not connected to the same network. I can use that web interface 3000 miles away without the need to VPN into my network?

Darkaine

Explorer
I haven't done it, but I've seen people on here do it, so yeah probably. Proto would know more on that one.

FreeNAS has an SSH server. you can tunnel Anything you want through it. google for exactly what you want.

the computer in question is not what you want. you're paying way more money than you need to for stuff you don't need. you can get a E-350 or an Atom for about $100, small case and power supply for 50. it won't be as pretty but it will sit in a closest.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128452
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134751 (quantity 2)
find yourself a nice case and power supply. remember, just because the motherboard is mini itx, does not mean you have to have a mini itx case. they are more expensive and if you don't need a small footprint, don't waste your money.

get yourself 4 drives in a raidz2 and use a PATA to CF converter for your operating system drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ide+cf&x=0&y=0

ProtoSD

MVP
@matt - just wondering why you suggest using the PATA to CF? Most new motherboards don't even have PATA anymore, but why buy all the additional adapters etc. when you can just boot and run straight off a USB stick?

@Freethenas - actually open source doesn't really have any influence on being able to setup a proxy. By design Unix is a flexible OS with many different ways to accomplish the same task. You could write a perl script to act as a proxy server, there are lots of possibilities. Try searching for 'FreeBSD proxy server' and I'm sure you'll turn up a bunch of choices.

USB sticks out the back and can get bumped, the CF is much more robust and is easy to mount inside. IDE is twice as fast as USB(2.0). I'm not tempted to use them for anything other than a mostly read only system so i know that when i grab one from my stock, it's good and will be good for a while.

Personally i started using IDE to CF with my first paketshapper, it was a Pentium 2 so it did not have USB 2.0, IDE was the logical choice for speed.

but you are right, most boards do not have PATA anymore, in that case, USB will be fine. you can always use one of the internal USB headers to mount the drive inside.

ProtoSD

MVP
I wish I could find the link, I have a USB header adapter cable so my USB stick is internal. Actually my motherboard has DOM (Disk on Module) USB port that you can use, the only problem I noticed is that it doesn't work when AHCI is enabled, and it disables one of my SATA ports when it's used. I know USB isn't that fast, but most of the activity is just booting and once that happens it's not like you're gonna be bouncing your system very often, at least you shouldn't need to. Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

ProtoSD

MVP
@Freethenas-

Here's a blog about setting a squid proxy server on FreeBSD. FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD and it's very likely this could be adapted to work on FreeNAS. The trick is that since FreeNAS runs from a USB flash drive, it has very tightly pre-configured partitions which don't leave very much room to add your own stuff. Someone posted a tutorial on setting up the bit torrent transmission client in something called a jail. I don't know what this involves, but that is the direction I would begin to look at in getting Squid to work on FreeNAS.
Here's the link to the blog:
how-to-install-and-configure-squid-as-transparent-proxy-server-under-linux-and-freebsd

kashiwagi

Dabbler
Since FreeNAS has OpenSSH already installed, you do not have to do anything. Just make sure that you can SSH into your FreeNAS box from the outside (internet). This might mean that you have to portforward and set up a dyndns service (standard service in FreeNAS).

Now make sure that you can SSH into the box.

Next you do the following on the machine where you will be browsing:
http://paulstamatiou.com/how-to-surf-securely-with-ssh-tunnel
http://www.blakebrannon.com/2007/07/22/securely-surf-the-internet-on-a-remote-network-via-ssh/

As simple as one line in the command prompt, or a quick setup in putty if you are using windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.