Setup of Pools for new Server

ThatGuyAZ

Dabbler
I just built a custom TrueNas server to replace my existing readynas 3138.
The question that I have stems from how I originally setup the readynas and how I would like to setup the current server. On the Readynas device I started off with two 4TB drives and then later added two 8tb drives to fill all 4 slots.

As I don't have a backup for the current setup (I know, I know). I was going to pull one of the 8tb drives and put that in the TrueNAS server. Since I have only about 6tb in use right now I was going to copy everything to the 8tb drive in the Freenas server and then once I verified it was working correct and I didn't have to start all over. I planned to move the 3 remaining drives out of the Readynas device.

Luckily prior to doing this I watched a couple tutorials and did some searches that seem to show this won't work. That brings me to this forum with the following questions:

• Will this work - In that if I start with one I can add the other three to the vdev and pool without any negative repercussions?
  • If this will not work and I have to start with 4 drives in the device; do they all need to be the same size, or can I put in the 8tb, 1tb, 500GB, and 128GB drives I have laying around and then replace them one at a time over the next couple of weeks with the 8tb, 4tb, and the final 4tb?
  • The readynas device current states it is a X-Raid setup (don't know what that means), but also says RAID 5. Does TrueNas allow Raid 5 as I haven't seen it in any tutorials for initial setup
  • If it is not offered by TrueNAS, how do I know which version to pick when doing the initial installation? What is most similar to RAID5/X-RAID
  • What do I lose by going to whatever is suggested instead of RAID5/X-RAID

As I am trying to do this without losing data in the process. What other pitfalls might I run into that you would advise me of that could potentially cause issues like this would have if I didn't catch it?

Hardware
Intel w-2175 on a Supermicro X11SRM-F motherboard.
32gb Ram DDR4 (19200) LRDIMM ECC
256GB NVME SSD (OS)

Future Software (Plugins/Jails)
Plex
Blue Iris (IPC)
Unifi Controller
Asterisk
NextCloud
torrent

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: