Setting up a reverse proxy on another machine trouble

LordZeus

Cadet
Hello. I am running TrueNAS Scale. I have several apps that I am running, and would like to use a reverse proxy to expose them to the internet. I was able to set them up via ingress (w/ traefik) and expose them that way, but I would like to use a separate machine (a virtual machine to be exact) to run the reverse proxy, instead of ingress with traefik natively.

When setting up the reverse proxy (caddy in this case), and trying to forward applications, they will not pass through.

For example: If I am trying to use my reverse proxy in the vm to expose jellyfin media server (192.168.1.2:8096) to the internet (jellyfin.mydomain.com) or even locally to another machine [192.168.1.2:8096 -> 192.168.1.3:8000] it will not allow me to access the page and gives me a http 502 error from what I can assume is it won't allow redirects or something along those lines.

I would like to be able to setup a reverse proxy on another machine that ISN'T TrueNAS, and have the apps accessible. How do I do this? Currently I can only do it if I use ingress with traefik within TrueNAS but want to go away from that. I simply want to expose the applications to the internet via a reverse proxy on a DIFFERENT machine.

Is there any settings I can change to make this possible?

Thanks!