Server loses connection

_boriz

Cadet
(I dont know if this is a network related problem. If not, please move this to the appropriate sub-forum)

I've been using Freenas since may last year and i'm not entierly sure what im doing all of the time, but i've got a problem that keeps occurring.

When I move large files to or from my workstation to the server the connection is lost. The only thing i can do is reboot the server. This has happened four times now and only when im pushing large files over the network.

I had a look in /var/log/messages and found the following (dont know if it's helpfull):

re0: watchdog timeout
kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
dhclient: New Ip Address (re0): 192.168.1.136
dhclient: New Subnet Mask (re0): 255.255.255.0
dhclient: New Broadcast Address (re0): 192.168.1.255
dhclient: New Routers (re0): 192.168.1.1
kernel: re0: link state changed to UP
kernel: re0: link state changed to UP

Those nine lines was repeated four times. On the fifth time it only got to "dhclient: New Routers (re0): 192.168.1.1" before loosing connection..

I've read (in a post from 2015) that the NIC could be the problem. I have no idea myself so im asking you.

(The last time it happened i was watching Plex and the connection to the Plex server was lost, but not the FreeNAS. I restarted the service and got Plex running again for a few minutes before loosing connection again. And this time even FreeNAS was unresponsive.)

Hardware
Intel i5-2500k
ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z (Intel nic)
16GB DDR3 (non-ECC)

Boot: 2x Sandisk Ultra Fit
Pool: 5x WD RED 4TB (WD40EFRX)

FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1

Last edited:

l@e

Contributor
What kind of switch are you using?
As i can understand you left the box in dhcp. For servers in general is better to use static ip, so try seting manualy an ip outside of dhcp pool and see if problem persist.

_boriz

Cadet
What kind of switch are you using?
As i can understand you left the box in dhcp. For servers in general is better to use static IP, so try seting manualy an IP outside of dhcp pool and see if problem persist.

Both the server and my workstation are connected to my RT-AC87U.
Your right. I unchecked DHCP. But, on the router, i had manually assigned IP to the server, so the DHCP-box shouldnt have made any difference (in my mind).

I wont be able to check if it helped until later today.

l@e

Contributor
The router dhcp reservation just replies with the same ip from the pool. But still the client has to ask for a new lease when the lease time is expired. You might check also if both events from FN and the router dhcp lease time are correlated in time.
Lets see with static later.

_boriz

Cadet
The router dhcp reservation just replies with the same IP from the pool. But still the client has to ask for a new lease when the lease time is expired. You might check also if both events from FN and the router dhcp lease time are correlated in time.
Lets see with static later.

Ive been transfering files to and from for a few hour just too test the connection. So far everything works as it should. Thanks for the help.

l@e

Contributor
You are welcome