Server don't boot to 9.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hans2k6

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a server running on the latest 8.3.x version and everything works fine.
I tried to update to 9.1.1 but than it stops while booting at dummy net ipv6.
And it is standing still. No panic. Nothing.

So I though I should do a clean installation.
Same problem.

Does anyone know maybe how to fix it? I can also post a screenshot of the whole monitor output, maybe are some information which I think they are not important.

Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
The screenshot may be important and a listing of your hardware.

hans2k6

Dabbler
So...
it is an S5000PAL Intel Board with XEON CPUs and 32GB Ram.
I tried tomorrow to update the bios, but its strange, that 8.3.1 is running without any problem, but 9.xx not

Sometimes it hangs at 1 pictures, sometimes on second. But it never goes further than this.

Attachments

• IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 238

joeschmuck

Old Man
You were a little skimpy on your system description. Nothing about hard drives, how they are connected to the system, flash drive info, etc... Sometimes the smallest thing is the thing that helps us figure it out for you.
Also, next time rotate your photos please.

If you have data on your hard drives you might consider disconnecting them while you are trying to fix this. Once you can boot it up, you can then consider reconnecting your hard drives. It would be bad if you lost your data by accident.

Try to install 9.1.1 again on a different flash drive (4GB size at least), clean install. You might try putting the flash drive into a different USB socket as well. And I assume you are using the 64 bit version.

Something else you can try, run MemTest86 for 3 complete passes using default settings.

hans2k6

Dabbler
Ok, I will find out which raid controller is inside there and the other things.

All other points I did already.
I rotated the photos, but while uploading the forum rotate it again. I tried it 3 times. Sorry for that

hans2k6

Dabbler
Ok, I updated the Bios and reset it to default settings and now its booting fine! Thank YOU

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm surprised it worked with 8.3.1 without the BIOS upgrade. Since you made the upgrade I still highly recommend you run Memtest86 for 3 full passes. I'm actually running it on mine right now, about a month after building my new system. I want to ensure I don't have any early infancy deaths of the system. I will likely run it again in another month and if it passes, I won't test the RAM again for 6+ months but I will test it again. When it comes to data safety, these simple and easy tests are well worth doing.

hans2k6

Dabbler
I will do it on the weekend maybe, because that machine is the most important one in the environment.
Thanks for that advice :)

A one more detail:
After I upgraded it was NOT booting.
Only when I am done the default settings.
So maybe that upgrade was NOT necessary. Nobody knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.