Server becomes unresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mochaka

Dabbler
Hey,

So i had problems with my FreeNAS server a couple of weeks ago, turned out to be a couple of bad hard drives. Sent them off to be fixed, but i'm still having problems. It could be because i haven't replaced the bad HDDs in the RAID yet, but it should run fine with a missing HDD right?

Whenever i access a file on the RAID5 array i get the following error message on the shell, and the server becomes unresponsive.

Code:
vm_page_free: pindex(120), busy(1), VPO_BUSY(0), hold(0)
panic: vm_page_free: freeing busy page
cpuid: 0
KDB: enter: panic
[thread pid 5313 tid 100196 ]
Stopped at kdb_enter+0x3b: movq $0,0x777612(5rip)

Mochaka

Dabbler
I've run memtest and it didn't come up with any errors after 3 passes.

gpsguy

If it were me, I'd go out and buy 2 hard disks NOW (even locally), rather than waiting on your RMA. We (you) knew about this 2 weeks ago.

At this point, you have the equivalent of a 5 cylinder car running on 3 cylinders. Yes, it might be running, but it's not running great.

Since you had two bad disks: one in your RAIDZ1 vdev, the other in your mirrored vdev, the redundancy is allowing you to access the data.

However, if another disk fails from either vdev, you'll loose the entire (storage) pool.

Mochaka

Dabbler
If it were me, I'd go out and buy 2 hard disks NOW (even locally), rather than waiting on your RMA. We (you) knew about this 2 weeks ago.

At this point, you have the equivalent of a 5 cylinder car running on 3 cylinders. Yes, it might be running, but it's not running great.

Since you had two bad disks: one in your RAIDZ1 vdev, the other in your mirrored vdev, the redundancy is allowing you to access the data.

However, if another disk fails from either vdev, you'll loose the entire (storage) pool.

I realise this, but i thought that it would run okay without the other disks, if the error is because of the disks not being there then that's fine, i was just worried there was something majorly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.