sending snapshots to S3

zebekias

Dabbler
I am interested in sending snapshots to S3 as backup. The built-in cloud sync (rclone) works at the file level - I'd rather send snapshots. As far as I can tell this is not something supported by TrueNAS awesomeness. I suppose I can manually work something out via "zfs send | s3cmd cp -" cron tasks but I'd rather not reinvent wheels. I found zfs_uploader which manages this very task, but as many pointed out on the forums: don't mess with the TrueNAS appliance :) The thought of installing it in a jail crossed my mind, but then it won't have access to the main pool so that's a no-go.

I read that the zfs stream internals are not guaranteed to be stable from one version to another, meaning a snapshot sent to S3 now may not be usable by zfs recv in the future after TrueNAS & zfs upgrades (that would be nasty). If true, that voids this entire subject, and doing it the current cloud sync way is prudent.

Thoughts?

regards,
Kiriakos

halftome

Cadet
Hey, did you find any way to solve this issue? I'd really want to setup a monthly backup task that sends my snapshots to s3.