SOLVED Segmentation fault on CPU burn-in test

Status
Not open for further replies.

u6f6o

Explorer
Hi,

I am currently installing my freenas system. 120 hours of memtest have already successfully passed and today I started burn in tests for the CPU. While the temperature of the CPU was perfectly fine (53° max for a i3-6300), the CPU stress tests stopped after a while with a "segmentation fault" message (see screenshot).

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 16.33.41.png

I'd appreciate if anybody could recommend further steps (analysis, sending pack CPU?) in order to tackle this problem.

For the tests I used
Thx in advance,
u6f6o

PS: I used the ultimate boot cd on a USB stick.

m0nkey_

MVP
Segmentation fault usually points to hardware with memory protection. Basically it tried to access some memory it's not allowed.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Segmentation fault usually points to hardware with memory protection. Basically it tried to access some memory it's not allowed.
"Segmentation Fault" can also occur when a pointer gets corrupted (CPU overworked/overclocked) and now points to the wrong thing. I don't know anything about his CPU burnin program, so I cannot reasonably assess whether or not the program has a mistake in it, or if this likely indicates a problem with the CPU.

Sir, can I recommend that you try another CPU-brutalizer, like Prime95? I believe that's available for FreeBSD. If there's a problem with the CPU, it'll show up no matter how you slice it, if you exercise it hard.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
By the way, it would be unlikely in the extreme that either an X10SL7 or an i3 CPU would be bad, out of the box, in such a way that you would only detect it under duress. I would be very suspicious of that software you were using to test.

u6f6o

Explorer
I would be very suspicious of that software you were using to test.

Yeah, actually I hope it's the software I am using. These cpu stress tests belong to the ultimate boot cd package which is recommended in the forums. BTW., it's an X11SSM-f, I decided to go with the skylake build.

Sir, can I recommend that you try another CPU-brutalizer, like Prime95?

I'll try that as a next step, thx!

u6f6o

Explorer
Good news! :)

I executed Prime95 small (6 hours) and blend (12 hours), Intel Processor Diagnostics (took ~10 minutes) and Intel Linpack Tests (~1,5 hours). Everything ran smoothly and there were no segmentation faults and even peak temperature was quite okay (68 °).

I assume that the seg fault errors appeared due to the tests I used previously and I am quite confident now that my hardware is fine.

Thx for the help!

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Segfaults are usually because the dev who made the app didn't checked what he should have in his code, don't worry if all the other tests passed ;)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I assume that the seg fault errors appeared due to the tests I used previously and I am quite confident now that my hardware is fine.
As DrKK predicted, sir! Glad everything is working well.

Status
Not open for further replies.