Seeking Feedback on My 1U Short-Depth (<14 inches) TrueNAS Build

amusso

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I live in a small apartment and space is quite limited. My wife has graciously allowed me to build a homelab, provided that it fits within one cube of our TV stand/media center furniture. I managed to find a 6U open frame rack that's 14 inches deep and fits perfectly in the allocated space. The rack is currently filled with my network gear, 1 liter x86-64 computers, ARM64 SBCs, and a UPS.

While my main workload cluster has ample space (~20TB), I'm in need of a dedicated storage solution. My requirements are that it be fairly quiet, energy-efficient, and able to fit within a 1U / sub-14 inch rack spot. I don't need hot-swappable drives, and I won't be virtualizing anything or performing tasks beyond storage. I have offsite backups for everything. The 14-inch depth is the main challenge. Here's the build I've come up with:
I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions you may have for my build. Is there anything I should consider changing or adding to optimize this setup? Any potential issues or compatibility concerns?
Thank you in advance for your input!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The C246 WSI is a workstation board. You may want to use the server board equivalent without audio, the E3C246D2I. Your CPU will work with this board, but you'll need to use RAM off the QVL for this board. In particular, for 32GB ECC sticks, the only one that's qualified is the Samsung 901 K4AAG085WM BCTD.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Also, if you're only going to run storage loads on this box, and aren't going to host VMs, then you can opt for a cooler-running CPU, the Xeon E-2104G, with a 65 W TDP, instead of your E-2278G, with an 80 W TDP.