Security run output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

Dabbler
I have seen a couple of posts on this but I'm really stumped by this one. I have this in my email this morning:-

Failed password for root from 192.168.0.30 port 49636 ssh2

Pretty standard fat fingered output except I wasn't in the house at the time and I'm the only one here that has even heard of SSH. Then add the IP address is outside the DHCP range available and it all gets a bit odd.

Is there any chance that the IP address reported is incorrect? If it was .3 then I could perhaps understand it...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have seen a couple of posts on this but I'm really stumped by this one. I have this in my email this morning:-

Failed password for root from 192.168.0.30 port 49636 ssh2

Pretty standard fat fingered output except I wasn't in the house at the time and I'm the only one here that has even heard of SSH. Then add the IP address is outside the DHCP range available and it all gets a bit odd.

Is there any chance that the IP address reported is incorrect? If it was .3 then I could perhaps understand it...

See if the host is online and run a zenmap scan against it. This will give you OS, hostname, services running, and will help you identify the computer. Since you only have a single attempt, I doubt it was malicious.

Goose

Dabbler
I would agree that a single attempt isn't likely to be too much to worry about but it is still suspicious. I don't suppose FreeNAS would store the MAC address of the host that was on 192.168.0.30 at the time would it? Where are theses security reports stored as a mater of interest?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I would agree that a single attempt isn't likely to be too much to worry about but it is still suspicious. I don't suppose FreeNAS would store the MAC address of the host that was on 192.168.0.30 at the time would it? Where are theses security reports stored as a mater of interest?

You can type "arp -a" in the CLI and display current arp entries on the FreeNAS server. For login attempts through ssh you can view /var/log/auth.log

Goose

Dabbler
The arp cache looks to have timed out and the auth.log file contains nothing about the alleged login attempt from 192.168.0.30!

Status
Not open for further replies.