-Asus X570
-64GB
-Some Ryzen
-evo850 SSD
-9x3TB
-IBM m1015
-5x8TB
-LSI sas9207 (here I need help)??
-2x 2m cabel from SAS to 4x sata from ”main” PC to second PC case with only 5x8TB and power supply (without motherboard)
something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/734175599.html

Is my idea OK?

Last edited:

Ricko1

Dabbler
I count 19 drives total. Have you considered getting a used supermicro 846? Those will fit 24 drives

As for the Ryzen and Asus mobo. FreeBSD Ryzen support is still in Beta and you might experience issue's. In general for FreeNAS a supermicro motherboard is recommended. Cpu will depend your usage.
I would recommend you read the hardware guide:
I hope this helps.

NAK

Dabbler
I'm running freenas on an ASRock mbrd with ecc ram and a Ryzen 3 pro 2200g. I had tried an older 1700x but sold it, because I needed the pcie slot for a sas controller. But what I can tell: it works. Windows or Linux will be better at powersaving but I hope freenas12 will be in beta soon. The nightlys are.. Early Nightlys.

troybs1d

Dabbler
That IBM M1015 will work just fine in your new system. It just needs a SAS Expander (if using just SATA HDDs there are older 24 port HP SAS expanders for under $20 USD) to go to the other drives. I've personally run a FreeNAS system, before I was into used enterprise/server gear, on a FX-8120 + GA-990FXA-UD7 board in the past but I spent almost $400 USD for unbuffered ECC memory. Currently unbuffered ECC is still very costly compared to the same spec Registered FB (fully buffered) ECC you would find on server grade gear like a SuperMicro system. Plus FreeNAS doesn't really use a lot of CPU power if you're just using it as a file server. If you run other systems in Jails & such the extra CPU power would be helpful.

Going with a LGA1366 SuperMicro X9D (dual socket LGA 1366) using X55xx/X56xx CPUs or a complete system (from SuperMicro, Dell or HP) with a E5-26xx CPU(s) would be much better choice all around. I recommend these systems because DDR3 Registered ECC memory for these systems are very cheap plus most of these server grade systems will have features that you won't find in any consumer grade build for nearly close to the same price point. Such as multiple true Intel NICs onboard, dual (or quad) redundant PSUs that are very easy to source & replace, proper channeled air flow & even a few more features depending on the particular system.