Seagate Ships 8TB Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirMaster

Patron
I don't really think it would take longer to rebuild than what people are already used to.

People don't seem to realize that these larger disks are getting faster and faster.

For example a lot of people use 4TB WD Red disks which in practice get about 80MB/s - 140MB/s across the platter. The average speed is somewhere around 110MB/s, so it takes something like 10 hours to read/write through a whole 4TB WD Red.

Now if we look at a 6TB Seagate, the speeds are a lot faster. 6TB Seagate gets about 180MB/s - 230MB/s across the platter. The average speed is somewhere around 210MB/s, so it takes something like 8 hours to read/write through a whole 6TB Seagate.

These 8TB disks are even denser and ever faster yet and should take even less than 8 hours to read/write completely.

Starpulkka

Contributor
8TB price is 233€ includes tax, price currently is makin me to consider buying these for a longtime store data server

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
8TB price is 233€ includes tax, price currently is makin me to consider buying these for a longtime store data server

Holy crap, I'm still seeing 240ish€ for 6TB WD Greens. 233€ would be an excellent deal.

bestboy

Contributor
People don't seem to realize that these larger disks are getting faster and faster.

I don't think that's true. The drives don't get significantly faster anymore - they just get bigger. Unless you compare a 5400 RPM drive with a 7200 RPM drive, there seems to be very little performance to gain.
The following example shows an increasing in density of 50% (3 TB -> 6 TB) and an increasing of average reads of merely 10% (112 MB/s -> 126 MB/s).

hdtune-read.jpg

3TB WD RED (source: http://www.legitreviews.com/wd-red-3tb-nas-hard-drive-review_2092)

seq_read-wd-red-6t.png

6TB WD RED (source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8263/6-tb-nas-drives-wd-red-seagate-ec-hgst-he/4)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.