scrutiny - truenas core

phier

Patron
hello,
whats the easiest way to install Scrunity (drive monitoring) on truenas core?

i am afraid it wont work within the jail (wont be able to access /dev/adX) same applies to running it within vm.
thanks!

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Are you aware that the value of SMART is somewhat limited in warning you of a drive failure? You can easily have a positive SMART result and the disk will still die literally the next minute.

phier

Patron
@ChrisRJ not really,
but at least it might be a good to have some monitoring instead of just waiting for the random fail?

Davvo

MVP
@ChrisRJ not really,
but at least it might be a good to have some monitoring instead of just waiting for the random fail?
Sure it is, but it's even better to regularly monitor the SMART data instead of trusting the SMART status.

hello,
whats the easiest way to install Scrunity (drive monitoring) on truenas core?
As far as I understand you simply can't since it's a docker. You might want to try setting up a Linuc VM and then running docker there, but I wouldn't define it neither simple nor a solution... too many abstraction layers for my taste.
You can do something like that with grafana I believe, @Patrick M. Hausen showed us something similar but I might be wrong: still not the easiest thing to set up.

The simpler alternative is using joeschmuck's multi_report script.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The scrutiny web UI has got too many dependencies that are not available on FreeBSD like e.g. InfluxDB 2.x. For applications that can interact with both InfluxDB 1.x and InfluxDB 2.x like e.g. Grafana this is most of the time not a problem. InfluxDB 1.x query language is even more feature rich than the one in 2.x. As far as I know both versions will continue to exist in parallel.

Anyway scrutiny needs InfuxDB 2.x. So I would recommend to create a Ubuntu or Debian VM and use the docker-compose.yml provided by the scrutiny project.

They do provide a collector binary for FreeBSD and Smartmontools 7 are part of TrueNAS CORE so it should be trivial to install the binary and setup a cron job that feeds data into InfluxDB running inside the VM.

HTH,
Patrick

P.S. Grafana on CORE resource coming soon.
P.P.S. It's scrutiny, not scrunity :wink: Please fix the thread title.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
While it is not directly comparable, for drive health I use the wonderful multi_report.sh script from @joeschmuck

Last edited:

phier

Patron
P.S. Grafana on CORE resource coming soon.
happy to wait!

P.P.S. It's scrutiny, not scrunity :wink: Please fix the thread title.
fixed
Anyway scrutiny needs InfuxDB 2.x. So I would recommend to create a Ubuntu or Debian VM and use the docker-compose.yml provided by the scrutiny project.

They do provide a collector binary for FreeBSD and Smartmontools 7 are part of TrueNAS CORE so it should be trivial to install the binary and setup a cron job that feeds data into InfluxDB running inside the VM.
thats how i set it up and it looks like its running,
i am using podman-compose.

The benefit of that scrutiny over all other custom made scripts might be that they somehow utilize backblaze reports.

thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
After being made aware of scrutiny by this thread I wanted to try it. Suprise! There's a TrueCharts chart for that. So installation was a couple of clicks on my TN SCALE. Sending metrics from my TN CORE systems was as simple as I sketched above - download FreeBSD binary from Github, put it somewhere on your pool, create cron job.

The good:

Awesome dashboard for all your storage devices, easy installation, easy use for multiple hosts.

The bad:

Hub (as in "hub and spoke") can run only on Linux due to InfluxDB 2 requirement.

The ugly:

No authentication whatsoever, so not usable on the public Internet, e.g. for our fleet of >100 servers in 5 different locations.
No grouping or organising of any kind, so again >100 servers will give you one heck of a single dashboard.

Still: great tool for a home lab or a small environment. I will probably deploy it at work for the 4 TrueNAS systems we run.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
In which way does Netdata help to scale scrutiny?