Scrub speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhoot

Patron
currently I’m sitting on about 15tb data which is mostly a bin for all devices in my family and I’m the safe keeper :p.
My scrubs last 5 days and their frequency has been reduced to once a month which again I would say I’m doing it at a risk. Any way (for e.g. upgrading cpu) I can speed this up? I’m planning large
hard
disks and theoretically if I double the capacity I’m guessing the scrub times will also go to double (assuming a linear trajectory). I think I shall get nightmares if the scrubs run for 10-12 days in a month.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
currently I’m sitting on about 15tb data which is mostly a bin for all devices in my family and I’m the safe keeper :p.
My scrubs last 5 days and their frequency has been reduced to once a month which again I would say I’m doing it at a risk. Any way (for e.g. upgrading cpu) I can speed this up? I’m planning large tracts disks and theoretically if I double the capacity I’m guessing the scrub times will also go to double (assuming a linear trajectory). I think I shall get nightmares if the scrubs run for 10-12 days in a month.
Looking at it on Tapatalk, I can't see if you have some information in the signature.
What hardware are you using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Bhoot

Patron
Looking at it on Tapatalk, I can't see if you have some information in the signature.
What hardware are you using?

Thanks for the quick reply.
I’m I do have it in my signature
Here is a paste from there
ASUS Z10PA-U8
PROCESSOR: iNTEL Xeon E52609v3 + Intel Fan
RAM: CRUCIAL 32GB (16x2)DDR4-2133 1.2v RDIMM 288p (CT16G4RFD4213)
HDD: WD RED 4tbx8
OS USB: 2x Cruzer Fit 16gb (mirror)
PSU: Coolermaster 750 gold
FreeNAS 9.3 Stable

Bhoot

Patron
Also you might want to know all hard disks are connector directly to the board 6gbps no hba used.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It looks like the 1.9 GHz CPU to me.
I have a system at work that is storing 150TB and the scrubs on it usually only take about 3.5 to 4 days.
My system at home will complete a scrub in 4 to 5 hours with about 8TB of data.

Bhoot

Patron
It looks like the 1.9 GHz CPU to me.
I have a system at work that is storing 150TB and the scrubs on it usually only take about 3.5 to 4 days.
My system at home will complete a scrub in 4 to 5 hours with about 8TB of data.

:eek:
150tb in 4 days? That’s dream speeds for me. I should say there is fragmentation on my pool but I think it’s not the same as windows; also could the 75% of the pool filled cause issues?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
:eek:
150tb in 4 days? That’s dream speeds for me. I should say there is fragmentation on my pool but I think it’s not the same as windows; also could the 75% of the pool filled cause issues?
Being 75% full should slow it down, yes, but not that much.
What were you planning on doing to expand your pool?

Bhoot

Patron
Being 75% full should slow it down, yes, but not that much.
What were you planning on doing to expand your pool?

Replace hard disks one at a time. Remember the discussion we had about the golds on another thread?
Since it’s a home server I might choose not to expand ram unless it’s absolutely necessary.

diskdiddler

Wizard
My scrub is about 27 hours for 30TB (90% full)
Weeny CPU though.

sretalla