SCALE not respecting dhcp reservation

parkervcp

Cadet
After installing TrueNAS SCALE I no longer get the static binding I have configured in my firewalls dhcp. I have seen this on debian based OS's before.

On top of this I can't seem to get it to set a static ip to save my life. I have set the gateway and nameserver to values they are supposed to be set to.

I can manually configure this in `/etc/network/interfaces`, but I still pull the dhcp address that is not my reserved one either.

RHEL/Cent happily take the IP provided by my firewall. I know Ubuntu with netplan has the `dhcp-identifier: mac` config and then it will get the reservation fine as well.

I have seen the following which are not related to this issue.

parkervcp

Cadet
The current workaround I have is to set the static via the interfaces file, go into the network interfaces settings in the console, disable dhcp, set the ip alias, apply, persist, and then reboot.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I'd suggest opening a new ticket for us on Jira then, we'll need your configuration / debug file (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) and we'll take a look into how this can be addressed in the next update.

parkervcp

Cadet
I'd suggest opening a new ticket for us on Jira then, we'll need your configuration / debug file (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) and we'll take a look into how this can be addressed in the next update.
As soon as I can I will open one.

GumShoeNoir

Dabbler
@parkervcp Did you ever get this to work with a DHCP reservation? I too am experiencing the same problem. I'm using an Asus RT-N66U.
I had/have a TN Scale up for many months. I actually didn't have a reservation; it just got the one it previously used. Upon returning from vacation where I had the server shut down for a week I received a new ip. I grabbed it's MAC and added a reservation for the desired ip. Upon booting I got the new ip again not the desired reservation. Unlike the resolution from staff at your jira issue I can and have reproduced the problem.

Edit (addition)
My DHCP server is my Asus router. I have my DNS server on a different ip. TNS seems to be using the nameserver as it's DHCP server which doesn't match my network configuration. This may explain the behavior of not receiving desired reservation.

Last edited:

GumShoeNoir

Dabbler
And the next morning, magically, I have the desired ip address again. I hadn't set it static and I hadn't powered off the machine. Apparently, it got the desired address from a 'renew' but why not on a restart?

Strange days.

eXPerience83

Cadet
Hi! I have this problem to.

SCALE doesn't respect the IP from routers DHCP, I have more devices working fine with the reserved IP address from routers DHCP.
Did you have this problem again?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 47

BradTheGeek

Dabbler
I am setting up a new TNS system, and same issue here. I had messed up my VLANs at the switch, but now that I have those right, TNS keeps using old IPs and not assigned reservations pushed form the DHCP server (Unifi Dream Machine Pro)

BradTheGeek

Dabbler
An update. I found this regarding linux/DHCP. Look like some DHCP clients are not sending a consistent or correct MAC/hardware identifier. Maybe for random MAC security. But the behavior is adjustable. This fixed it for me, but I have no idea if a TNS update or other maintenance process will reset this config file.