Scale 23.10.2 stuck in boot or boot loop

rol.dob

Dabbler
Hello,

I have a problem with Scale 22.x and 23.10.x versions. Last time I have installed 23.10.1.3 on Asus N100I-D4-CSM (Intel N100, 16GB DDR4 3200 so-dimm, A6M1166 M2-SATA adapter, 3x4TB HDD RaidZ1, 128GB SDD for boot pool and 256GB SDD for apps..)

It had worked for weeks when I upgraded to 23.10.2. There was no problem with this version for a two days. 2 or 3 app updates arrived when at a nigth it stopped working. Now I'm trying to find where is the problem but I could not find any usefull solution. It gets stuck in ix system loading (?).
When it freezes, it overwrites the most top row (see timestamps). Sometimes it writes "Input: HDA Intel PCH ..." message there and then it usually reboots after a couple seconds.

I had experienced this behaviour with 22.x.x versions too with an old hardware (Intel H81, i3-4360, 8GB ram, 1x4TB HDD and, 256GB SDD for boot pool...).
I suppose probably someting goes wrong during apps updates. I use the Jellyfin to share media folders and it happened after manually apps update, at night when there was no any server activity... (I did not restart the system after last Jellyfin update, maybe the last update caused (?))
Or maybe it has a relation with Jellyfin that it can not use IGP in N100 CPU for transcoding, I did not set any hardware transcoding (???). I can not set GPU in the system settings:

No Isolated GPU Device(s) configured​

I have already had to reinstall the OS 2-3 times to solve the problem. It is very annoying problem, I could not find any solution to recover the system. The initial-install can start but currently it is 23.10.1.3 without pools and settings, apps... In this way, Truenas is unusable for me. :(

So what causes the problem and how i can fix it?
Why does not an error message appear instead of freezing? (I think it should not freeze if it previously worked fine....)

Thank you in advance.

Please check the photos below.

IMG_20240228_210138.jpg

IMG_20240228_210151.jpg

IMG_20240228_210201.jpg

Last edited:

rol.dob

Dabbler
Because of the apps are on a separated SSD, I have unplugged SATA cable of this SDD. The system could start well.
Now, I have connected cable to sdd again. The system found it as /dev/sde. But zpool status does not list my pool.
The name of this pool is WORKER, but the system does not known it.
I tried to use zpool reopne, import, initialize commands, but I got "can not open 'WORKER': no such pool".

How can I make the pool be known again?
Is there a command that open the /dev/sdd1 partition and mount it as pool?

rol.dob

Dabbler
The command "zpool import -d /dev/sdd1 WORKER" command freezes the system immediately and reboots within 10 seconds. It will also stop booting on the next boot...

rol.dob

Dabbler
I have replaced "WORKER" SSD to a brand new and it has fixed the problem.
The system ran for 2 weeks fine, now it got stuck in "Initializing Apps service" and deploying...

rol.dob

Dabbler
I left it in deploying status for 5 days, now it freezes in boot again as above.... :frown:

I have tried to unplug the "WORKER" ssd but it has no effect.

Reinstall all system for the fourth time....

rol.dob

Dabbler
I have reinstalled the system, but I cannot import pool, The system always restarts.
I have tried to zpool import NAS, I got:
cannot import 'NAS': pool was previously in use from another system.
Last accessed by truenas (hostid=68cacc10) at Fri Mar 22 22:29:17 2024
The pool can be imported, use 'zpool import -f' to import the pool.

I have tried it with -f, but the system restarted and not imported pool.

How can I fix it and import my RAIDZ1 pool?

rol.dob

Dabbler
I have moved the three disks to another computer (AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB DDR4, MSI A530M-A PRO) and reinstalled Truenas Scale (on ssd). The result is the same: computer reboots when I try to import the RAIDZ1 pool.
I have unplugged 1 disc of 3, but it restarts...

I did not find anything relevant in logs, once during the import some messages appeared on the monitor. I took a photo; same messages once appeared on the original machine too:

import.jpg

Now a long smart test is running on 3 discs....

What should I do? Report a bug?

Last edited: