SAMBA Share Names Clashing With Home Shares

willowen100

Cadet
I have several datasets and SAMBA shares setup but I have issues accessing them depending how they've been named. Below is a list of some SAMBA shares I have.
  • Backups
  • Docker
  • Public
  • Media
  • Home_Share
For example, if I use the following UNC path in Windows with a singular noun
Code:
\\truenas\backup

It takes me into my 'home' directory at
Code:
\\truenas\will

or
Code:
\\truenas\homes

However, if I use the plural noun and the actual name of the SAMBA share backups I'm able to access the share normally. However, I would expect the singular spelling of the backups share to come back with an error rather than being an alias to my home directory. Can anyone explain this behaviour?

Another example, I have created a user called docker which has the following UID/GID:
  • UID=1111
  • GID=999
but creating a SAMBA share also called docker clashes when you access with the UNC path
Code:
\\truenas\docker

as it takes you to the docker user's home directory instead. This makes perfect sense but it would nice if I could disable the home folder for the docker user and choose to use the SAMBA share instead. I suppose the only way to get around this is to either change the user account name to docker-user or docker.user, or change the SAMBA share name to docker_share for example.

Lastly, I have noticed that no matter what I set the home share name to in SAMBA it doesn't change from Homes. For example if I create a SAMBA share name called Home_Share and check the box Use as Home Share, in Windows or Linux the share still shows as Home. Can anyone explain this behaviour or the home share feature hard-coded to always show Homes?

For reference I've left the documentation to Home shares below:
https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/coretutorials/sharing/smb/homeshare/

Attachments

• List of SAMBA shares from TrueNAS.png
    List of SAMBA shares from TrueNAS.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 64
  • List of SAMBA shares from Windows 11.png
    List of SAMBA shares from Windows 11.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 66
  • TrueNAS docker user.png
    TrueNAS docker user.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 71