Samba share appears as empty, but isn't

RaidPirate

Dabbler
Hi strange issue occuring with my truenas setup and I'm not sure where to start with this.

I have setup a samba share with the username "bob" and bob has full read/write access on the share pool.

I then mounted this share on a debian system where I am logged in with the username "alice".

This is how I mounted the system:

sudo mount -t cifs -o rw,username=bob //192.168.2.111/samba /mnt/samba

I was prompted to enter the password for bob which I did, and the share was mounted.

However I do not have write access on the samba share. I can use root (sudo) to copy files to this mounted location, but I cannot copy the files as the user alice.

Does the currently logged in user (on localhost) have to have the same username as the username used to "mount the samba share on localhost". To me that doesn't seem to make any sense. The username supplied to the username field in the mount command should be related to the samba share host system, not the localhost system.

Regardless of this I created a user called "alice" on the truenas box and encountered the same issue.

So my question is I have a user called "bob" on the samba share, on the truenas system. On a Linux (specifically Debian) system, how do I mount this samba share so that it is writable?