S.M.A.R.T. test email reports fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny81

Contributor
I'm still using 8.2 but would like to receive email reports on SMART tests.

I know in the past there was an issue with this, but I'm hoping someone could tell me if the latest FreeNAS version fixed this.

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure what you are asking for. It sounds like you want a test to be run and when it finishes you get an email with the test result. If so, that's not possible.....easily. Here's why...

When you request a test to run the hard drive does only one thing, acknowledge that the test is starting. The hard drive does not inform any hardware or services on your computer that the test is complete. It silently finishes with a log entry in the harddrive's internal logs that can be queried with smartctl that includes the power-on hours the disk had at the time the test finished, the test type, and the result (hopefully passed or completed or something like that).

In order to know that the test finished you have to create some system to identify when a test finished and send an appropriate email. Totally possible if you are a script writing wizard and can make it happen. I know there's a handful of people that would love to have something like this.

If you go to the how-to section I have a script in there that emails you nightly with the SMART status of your disks. It's one of those things that you'd have to sift through to determine if the tests are good or not.

I will tell you that SMART is "supposed" to report on a failed test. So in essence a "good" test is not reported. But, all FreeNAS versions that are 8.x (I believe it was fixed in 9.1.) will *not* report on a failed SMART test. :( Because of this alone (nevermind the security vulnerabilities and such) I'd *highly* recommend you figure out a way to upgrade.

sonny81

Contributor
Your last paragraph is exactly what I'm wanting; an email for failed tests so I have a heads up...no matter how small of a heads up.

I'll get the latest version on a new USB drive and go through the manual on importing my pools. Its the RSYNC backup server so I won't loose everything if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the insight.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should be able to upgrade to 8.3.0, then 8.3.1, then 9.1.1, then 9.2.0, then 9.2.1.7. Skip any of those and you'll have problems. ;)

sonny81

Contributor
Got it.

I'm running FreeNAS off a regular hard drive (I know...). Before updating my BIOS, I was unable to boot from USB, but now I finally can.

That said, as far as upgrading, I would pretty much need to flash the USB drive with my current FreeNAS version, then 8.3.0, 8.3.1, 9.1.1, 9.2.0, then 9.2.1.7 correct?

Am I skipping 9.1.0?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, skip 9.1.0 ;)

sonny81

Contributor
Strange. So after booting I'm not seeing any message in the Console Setup about assessing the device from a URL.

Basically all I have is the Console Setup menu 1-11 with "Enter an option from 1-11".

I went ahead and configured link aggregation, the network interface with a static IP, but still no GUI access.

FreeNAS is "seeing" the interfaces when I set up link aggregation, but when I do ifconfig -a, my 2 NICs are showing (plus the lagg0), but no IP addresses are listed for them. I tried pinging the device as well.

I'm using the same Intel NICs I always have. They are the ones everyone recommended back in the 8.2 days :) Hope they're still compatible.

Lastly, I reconnected my original FreeNAS drive (with the old version) and everything comes up fine. So the NICs are working, beginning to wonder if its the USB drive.

Last edited:

sonny81

Contributor
Quick question about winimager32. I just got a new Sandisk thumb drive, and successfully put v8.2 on it. Do I repeat this process with the other versions or do I need to use the ISO CDs I made.

I know that I'll have an option to select "upgrade" with the ISO CD solution, but will winimager32 overwrite everything or work as an updater for the other versions?

sonny81

Contributor
Just a courtesy post.

My issue was the usb drive. I was using a multi card reader with a micro SD card. Figured it might work since my BIOS recognized the drive.

Anyway, just bought a cheap SanDisk thumb drive, formatted it using dban (removed all of Sandisk's junk from it), put 8.2 on it via winimage32, and performed the version upgrades using bootable CDs (burned FreeNAS ISO images to CD via Free ISO Burner).

The next mistake I made is laughable, but seemed logical at the time: I made the thumb drive the 1st drive & 1st in boot priority, but I left my old FreeNAS OS drive (SATA) pulled into the mobo. Not sure why, but the old IP settings kept showing up.

Final solution: unplugged the old drive completely from the mobo, confirmed BIOS boot settings, and all launched well.

After configuring LACP exactly like the old configuration, I was able to HTTP into the GUI.

Best part, even with version 9.2.1.7, I was able to upload my old configuration file from 8.2 with no issues.

RSYNC & all the shares are working perfectly.

I had screen shots of every single configuration on this server because I was preparing for a complete manual reconfiguration. Thankfully, the old configuration file saved me hours worth of extra work.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll wait a month to verify system stability, and then I'll repeat this process for the main server (after of course I confirm RSYNC has everything backup).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You will almost certainly find out later that going from 8.2 to 9.2.1.7 has caused problems with your config. I've done quite a few and every single one ends up the same.. bad config after a while. So be warned you will almost certainly be doing a config redo at some point in the future.

sonny81

Contributor
Thanks for the heads up. Any particular area I should keep an eye out for or do you just recommend deleting & recreating accounts, etc.?

I have all my settings written down so all I would lose is some time setting it back up (no big deal).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No. What will likely happen (and what I've seen) is that you'll do an upgrade in the future and suddenly you'll have all these weird unexplainable errors on bootup. The system may not even be able to finish booting. So you'll go back and try again and the config just won't play anymore because some of the old structures weren't properly updated. At that point you'll have no choice but to do a fresh install of FreeNAS and redo all of the configuration and setup from scratch.

I had someone a few weeks ago that had an old config file from 8.0.4. We went to 9.1.0 and it fell apart. I did a bunch of upgrades of his config file in a VM and then gave him the final product and all was fine.

I don't understand why it does this, I just know that it does. We also see a large uptick in "alleged corrupted configs" when a new version comes out, most likely because of stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.