LAN: RTL8105E
Capacity: 1TB+1TB in ZFS Mirror mode
FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35)

PC's are connecting to my NAS via Asus RT-N66U

When transferring data I am getting pathetic speeds such as:
Wireless: 4MBytes/Sec
Ethernet: 7MBytes/Sec

Speeds based on actual and JPerf stats.

FreeBSD 9.1 has support of RTL8105E I am not sure of kernel version of FreeNAS 9.1.1

Request your help to find a solution to this problem. Any guidance will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, posting complaining about wireless is a waste of time. Wireless. Just. Sucks. Period.

Second, you have a single core processor. You can't expect much from something like that.

gpsguy

For starters it looks like your Realtek NIC is only capable of running 10/100. Replace it with an Intel pro/1000 CT. Cost for an OEM version is about $25 USD.

Wireless speeds are typically lackluster. But your bottleneck is the Realtek in your NAS

Sent from my phone

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, 100Mb is going to suck, but not 7MB/sec suck. I used to hit 12MB/sec with 100Mb.

But wow... the fact that a motherboard even sells with 10/100 is completely hiliarious. Guess ECS really does stand for "Every Customer is a Sucker" still.

Dear Cyberjock/Gpsguy,

Thank you very much for the inputs provided, appreciate it.

Since I am already stuck with the mobo, will it help if I replace the CPU and NIC and retain the Mobo?

If yes, can you please suggest a suitable CPU (AMD Phenom/Athlon option) for this mobo? For NIC I am considering Intel pro/1000 CT as suggest by Gpsguy.

Request your guidance on the same to minimize financial damages and wastage. This is purely for home use for backing up documents, media and streaming them to my media player.

Thank you for your help in advance, appreciate it.

Regards.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Any Intel NIC will help. Although I wouldn't expect much more performance with an Intel NIC. As for a CPU, I won't give advice on that. I'm not an AMD guy. But I'd shoot for a 4 core CPU with at least 2Ghz.

Thanx Cyberjock, any recommendations for NIC that will give respectable throughput will help. Please feel free to suggest.

Regards.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And as I said.. "Any Intel NIC will help".

Status
Not open for further replies.