Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I was a bubblehead. ;)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'd like to add that the jump from 2GB to 8GB is a 400% increase in RAM. It's not a trivial difference.

8GB is just the amount of RAM that has been empirically determined (nobody starts counting how much memory each component of the system will use before writing the OS - except maybe on some embedded systems) not to cause problems for typical uses.

To extend jkh's analogy, what you're asking is "Why does the Earth need 23 hours 56 minutes my-orbital-mechanics-professor-would-kill-me-for-not-knowing seconds to turn on its axis and not 12 hours?"
The answer is: "Well, if you could analyze every interaction the Earth has had since its creation, you'd have your answer."
The difference is that in this case, it is possible (though laborious) to account for everything - but you can't expect a detailed analysis to be made a priori, especially when the many components come from tons of different sources who'd each have to publish detailed memory usage results.
To expand on the astronomy analogy. Detailed apriori analysis leads you to.... Aristotilean physics. We all know how that worked out.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I was a bubblehead. ;)
Then this may be a suitable avatar:
big_icon.png

In reference to the radiation and crap used to scrub CO2. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Done!

I sent you a PM a few days ago... you might want to respond... @anodos

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Then this may be a suitable avatar:
big_icon.png

In reference to the radiation and crap used to scrub CO2. :)

Still less nightmare-inducing than the old one.

J

jkh

For some reason I'm under the impression you were a bubblehead. That in itself is sufficient explanation for *any* idiosyncrasies. As for as not asking questions - I think that's a marine thing, and 8GB - heck even 128GB ECC ram would not be enough to stop a marine from breaking a zpool.
You are correct, @cyberjock was a bubblehead. Still is, really. The definition has simply changed.

I take your point about Marines and breaking things. It's not really their fault. They're trained to break things. If they were trained to build things, they'd be Seabees!

Reactions: DJ9
Status
Not open for further replies.