Rsync Pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

STREBLO

Patron
I'm a bit confused as to how the rsync module is supposed to work. I want to pulll from my desktop but it doesn't really explain how this is able to be done using the modules. Does the rsync service not allow this? It would seem kind of funny if it wasn't able to do this as it is a key function of rsync so I think I must be missing something but the documentation doesn't really explain how you can do this. Do I need to set this up manually?

STREBLO

Patron
Stupid me, I guess the part I was looking for was in tasks, completely missed that.

STREBLO

Patron
Okay, I think I need a bit of help with this because somehow I have screwed up the permissions. I have successfully gotten rsync to work pulling my entire Linux desktop from FreeNAS but I'm not sure how I should be approaching permissions because right now it seems like my home directory is not getting backed up due to me running rsync as root. I wanted to run it as root so I would get the entire system but I thought it would also backup my home directory as that is what it has done in the past when I have just rsynced locally from one directly to another, I have never done this pulling. I want permissions to be retained so that when I tried to view the directory as a share what used to be root is still owned by root but what was owned by me is still owned by me. Should I be changing the permissions of the data set that I am rsynking into?

Here are my configurations:

Code:
Path:   /mnt/tank/backups/Archon/Sync
User:   root
Remote Host:   192.168.0.x
Rsync mode:     Rsync module   
Remote Module Name:   Rsync
Direction:     Pull   
Short description:   Rsync entire desktop.
Recursive:    x
Times:    x
Compress:    x
Archive:    x
Delete:    x
Quiet:    
Preserve permissions:    x
Preserve extended attributes:    x
Delay Updates:    
Extra options:   --hard-links --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/media/*","/mnt/*","/lost+found"} --password-file=/mnt/tank/backups/Archon/.rsync-secrets
Enabled:   x

Code:
Module name:   Rsync
Path:   /mnt/tank/backups/Archon/Sync
Access Mode:    Read and Write   
Maximum connections:   0
User:   root
Group:   root

Code:
use chroot = no
max connections = 0

[Rsync]
        uid = root
        gid = root
        path = /
        comment = Synchronize entire Archon desktop.
        auth users = root
        secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
        log file = /var/log/rsync.log

STREBLO

Patron
OK now that the transfer is done I can read my user files but and I am unable to open anything that is owned by root. When I try to access it on my local machine as a share, when I try to change my user on my local machine to root I can't get into the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.