[resolved] non-root user with passwordless login AND sudo

Status
Not open for further replies.

damian0815

Cadet
I'd like to be able to disable password login by SSH into my FreeNAS box, and only allow login via my RSA key. I'd also like to be able to `sudo` using this account.

However when I go to create a user 'damian' in the FreeNAS gui, it seems I can either have passwordless login or sudo support, and not both.

Am I misunderstanding what 'passwordless' means here? Should I just hack around in my sshd config files instead of using the GUI?

D

dlavigne

You mean you are checking the "Disable password login" box? The docs for that field indicate: "when checked, the user can not log into the system or authenticate to a CIFS share". If you want to ssh to the box key auth, paste the public key into the "ssh public key" box.

damian0815

Cadet
Yes, that's what I meant, thanks.

Ahh, then I am misunderstanding it. There's a feature in SSH where you can disable logging in to an account with anything except public key - this makes public-facing servers safer as the only way to login to SSH is using the public key.

I guess this means I need to edit an ssh config file somewhere. I've done it before, just forgotten where the setting is...

D

dlavigne

Nope, you should just need to paste in the user's public key.

If you want to "force" all users to use key auth, uncheck the "Allow password authentication" box in Services -> SSH.

Status
Not open for further replies.