Repurposing Old 17” MacBook Pro (late 2011)

PStark

Cadet
I recently upgraded my laptop to a new MacBook Pro and instead of just throwing away or recycling (at least at this point) a good MacBook Pro, I want to experiment with TrueNAS to see if I can still use the computer in some way. I have it set up now with a drive plugged in via a USB port. It works OK I guess but I want to speed it up a little by utilizing the thunderbolt port (TB1) and potentially creating a raid. This computer wont be storing anything essential but I want to see how it compares to my QNAP NAS I already have. If I can get this setup and working at a decent speed, I would like to use it to store computer backups for all my computers in my home.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I doubt anyone here has any insight for you, beyond this:

USB-attached, and most likely Thunderbolt-attached, disks are likely to be somewhat problematic for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that they have a tendency to do flaky things under load.

Additionally, FreeNAS really wants a ton of resources, though perhaps your MacBook has 8GB or more of RAM and some decent CPU.

Even a Windows PC is generally not advisable, and relatively little actual experience with such exists in the forums. You're one step beyond that. It could work, but be careful.

awasb

Patron

Rivolta

Cadet
PStark: Did you manage to pull this off in the end ? I happen to be in the same situation. I know what I plan to do sounds crazy, but here's how it will go: use both internal SATA connection for 2TB HDDs, and install TrueNAS onto an external SSD connected via USB. I haven't got the HDDs but I'll come back if you're interested in my results.

jgreco: What does TrueNAS do with all the system ressources ? Also why is USB bad ? (Sorry if these questions are stupid, I'm really a newbie).

awasb: Installing macOS on these 2011 MBPs is the worst thing anyone could do, they have a GPU defect and they die, it would be wiser to repurposing them for some headless tasks.