Replication

urobe

Contributor
Hey there,

the situation is the following:

The working freenas is at the office and is used for office files (pdf, doc, xls), videos, pictures and backups of the windows server. No active database or virtual machines. Most of the access is read access.
The identical backup system is at my home about 500 m away connected with a wifi bridge which allows about 20 mib/s transfer speed.

I would like to have at least read access on the backup. If I read it correctly, snapshot replication is by default not accessible. The manual recommends creating a clone and delete it afterwards again. Is it possible to have permanent read access to the backup? rsync, I think won't work for me very well, as of the windows limitations.

Replication seems like a great tool, as it would give me an exact copy of the main system, including snapshots. But if permanent read access is not meant to be, I would consider the syncthing to create a copy.

Or did I misunderstand the clone function?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Toby

urobe

Contributor
not yet, currently I'm strugeling with syncthing... for now I have the clone, and I see how much I miss the read access...

I don't see the issue here, just create a share pointing to your dataset/s on your backup box and away you go. That's what I do.

sretalla