replication task, from 11.3 (unencrypted) to 12 (encrypted)

chocamo

Dabbler
I'm testing the 12 beta and setup a replication task. I'm trying to do a PULL from a dataset on 11.3 using geli encryption to 12 using native encryption. I've tried creating an empty encrypted dataset as the destination, but it's blown away everytime. When it's complete the new dataset and `zfs get all POOL/TANK` show encryption off. Is there anyway to get replication to bring the data into an encrypted dataset? I realize this may complicate snapshots as the raw data from the source cant just be written. I'm just a little unclear on how or if this works.

Apollo

Wizard
Normally, I would say on system prior to TrueNas, replication from encrypted pool to unencrypted pool works without issue and the opposite is true too.
With Truenas replicating a dataset from a pool that is encrypted doesn't affect the remote dataset when it is not encrypted. I believe I experimented with a an encrypted dataset and if true, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. But maybe I am wrong.

I think the issue could be at the initial replication of the dataset. Normally the dataset being replicated would have it's properties replicated and that could break the dataset encryption scheme.
Can you test with creating an encrypted dataset on the PULL side and just replicate it under the encrypted one? The idea is to have replication create the source dataset one level below the newly created PULL encrypted dataset.

chocamo

Dabbler
I tried nesting and that didn't work. Unchecking "Include Dataset Properties" seems to have done the trick. Thanks!