Replication from 11.2 to 12 fails

clicks

Dabbler
Ok, ok, it might be a niche topic but perhaps it might save someone some time. I was in the situation where I had to replicate an (old) Freenas 11.2 installation to a TrueNas 12 installation. Before anyone asks, an update of the old box was out of question as it suffers from hardware failures which make every reboot a gambling game.
Unfortunately replication always fails as the replication command specified the zfs command on the remote machine, which stores the binary at a different path:
Replication result: zsh:1: no such file or directory: /sbin/zfs

The easiest way to solve the problem was to create a symbolic link for the zfs binary so that it can be found at both locations:
Code:
ln -s /usr/local/sbin/zfs /sbin/zfs

blanchet

Guru
Thank you very much for the tip.

After creating the symbolic link /sbin/zfs -> /usr/local/sbin/zfs to find the zfs binary at both locations, I can replicate dataset from FreeNAS-11.1u7 to TrueNAS 12.0.

I guess that if I want to replicate in the opposite direction, I have to create the opposite symbolic link /usr/local/sbin/zfs -> /sbin/zfs
on the legacy system to find the zfs binary at both locations.

I have a legacy systems that runs FreeNAS-11.u7 because the motherboard boots only with GRUB, so my only upgrade path may be TrueNAS Scale (which is still in development).

GregP

Dabbler
Thank you so very much for pointing the way. Saved me from having to shut down and upgrade the 11.2 box without a backup.