SOLVED Replication failing between 2 11.2-U5 boxes

jtoninger

Dabbler
HI All. I am having a replication issue that cropped up about a month ago. Replication started failing between my Master and Backup FreeNAS boxes about a month ago and has not worked since.

I have read around the forums before posting and the thing that is very puzzling to me right now is I have already tried deleting all the snapshots from both servers and trying to start a fresh replication. I even deleted and recreated the Snapshot and Replication Tasks.

The replication process starts, gets to 100%, and then after a while, fails.

I'm emailed a generic failure error

New alerts:
* Replication StoreVol1/WorkgroupStores -> 192.168.0.84:StoreVol1/ReplStore failed: Failed: StoreVol1/WorkgroupStores (auto-20190819.0001-10d)

Current alerts:
* Replication StoreVol1/WorkgroupStores -> 192.168.0.84:StoreVol1/ReplStore failed: Failed: StoreVol1/WorkgroupStores (auto-20190819.0001-10d)

And have not been able to find anything useful in the logs.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thank you .

scrappy

Patron
I had to turn off Replication Stream Compression on my replication tasks in order to get replication working between FreeNAS and my FreeBSD remote server. You might give that a try.

jtoninger

Dabbler
I have replication working again. In this case what had happened was, I deleted all the old snapshots before starting a new replication task, but then for some reason decided to take a manual snapshot before setting up the new recurring snapshot.

For some reason FreeNAS chose this manual snapshot as the first one it tried to replicate. And because it was not part of a recurring set it seemed that caused the failure.

So if you find yourself in my situation, clear our the old snapshots, but leave the recurring snapshot task to handle everything after that.

I incorrectly assumed that because FreeNAS replication tasks rely on the Snapshot tasks, it would only try to replicate snapshots in the recurring set.