Replicating dropbox files back to Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Simpson

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm new to Freenas but now have my IxSystems Freenas Mini whizzing away are working like a charm. I'm curious how others are replicating cloud data back to their NAS box. Or am I thinking about this backwords?

I am on the run quite a bit and use Dropbox personal and for business with my company. Are there any simple tools that I can set to backup and sync my data back to the Freenas Mini?

tvsjr

Guru
You could always set up Owncloud and your own hosting and quit using the security nightmare that is Dropbox altogether ;)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Dropbox doesn't have a client available for freenas.

You have several options though.

Owncloud, btsync, sync thing, a script on your computer that copies all Dropbox files into your nas...

David Simpson

Dabbler
You could always set up Owncloud and your own hosting and quit using the security nightmare that is Dropbox altogether ;)

I've actually given this a lot of thought. The elephant in the room here is consumer/residential ISP connection stability. I have full confidence in Freenas/Owncloud, but wouldn't be able to trust Verizon to keep me highly available.

I need to check out btsync, I didn't realize it could do something like this. Thanks @pirateghost!

fracai

Guru
I'm hoping bhyve allows me to run Dropbox on my FreeNAS box, but for now I use BT Sync to sync my Dropbox folder.
So, I have BT Sync and Dropbox running on my laptop. Any changes to dropbox are pushed to both services. Any changes on the FreeNAS box are pushed every 10 minutes to my laptop, where Dropbox picks up the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.