Replace Drive Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_sherman

Dabbler
Hi,

I am trying to replace a disk within my encrypted raid pool. I have offlined my troublesome disk, shutdown, replaced the drive and powered up. Within the GUI I have selected the "replace" disk option and entered my root password. I am greeted with what looks like a stack trace... Please help! Thanks...

Code:
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://roland/storage/zpool-Volume1/disk/replace/8223870299592301177/
Software Version: FreeNAS-9.10.1 (d989edd)
Exception Type: UnicodeEncodeError
Exception Value:
'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xc3' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
Exception Location: /usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/forms.py in clean_pass2, line 1968
Server time: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 10:49:02 +0100
Unicode error hint

The string that could not be encoded/decoded was: ÃaÞrOf

Traceback
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
  105.                     response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  156.         return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  22.                 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/views.py" in zpool_disk_replace
  937.         if form.is_valid():
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/forms.py" in is_valid
  129.         return self.is_bound and not bool(self.errors)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/forms.py" in errors
  121.             self.full_clean()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/forms.py" in full_clean
  273.         self._clean_fields()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/forms.py" in _clean_fields
  291.                     value = getattr(self, 'clean_%s' % name)()
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in clean_pass2
  1968.             f.write(passphrase)

Exception Type: UnicodeEncodeError at /storage/zpool-Volume1/disk/replace/8223870299592301177/
Exception Value: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xc3' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
That is not how you do it when using Encryption..
8.1.10.1. Replacing an Encrypted Drive
If the ZFS pool is encrypted, additional steps are needed when replacing a failed drive.

First, make sure that a passphrase has been set using the instructions in Encryption before attempting to replace the failed drive. Then, follow the steps 1 and 2 as described above. During step 3, you will be prompted to input and confirm the passphrase for the pool. Enter this information then click the “Replace Disk” button. Wait until the resilvering is complete.

dr_sherman

Dabbler
That is not how you do it when using Encryption..
8.1.10.1. Replacing an Encrypted Drive

Thanks Mirfster. I was trying to follow that guide and I thought I was right.

So I have noted that if I enter my encryption key (I was entering my root password incorrectly) then I can proceed to the next screen. I am presented with a new warning / error:
  • W: Recovery Key will be invalidated - to be expected so no issue?
  • E: Disk is not clear, partitions or ZFS labels were found. - This is a new disk so I would presume I am okay to just tick the force box and proceed?
After this I would expect the resilvering to complete and then I can follow the additional steps in the link above to re-key, download keys etc?

Thanks,

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
TBH, I avoid using the encryption in FreeNAS so the most I can do is reference the Manual or Posts in these Forums. From memory there were a good couple of Posts that detailed the process, I don't recall them off the top of my head right now; but search and you should be able to find them.

dr_sherman

Dabbler
Okay, no problem.

For others reading I followed my steps above and the pool is resilvering now.

Status
Not open for further replies.