Replace all drives and some hardware

gilgedje

Dabbler
Hi everyone!

im runing Truenas Scale 22.12.3.3
CPU: CPU E5-2680 v3
RAM: 256GB ECC samsung ram
Storage: 10 Toshiba MG04SCA60EA 6TB sas drives (12G)
Network: 10Gig
I have 1 pool with 2 raid z1
The pool status is OK! just finished a scrub yesterday - no errors on any disk.

I bought new drives - 17 of the Segate Exos X16 10TB (all new)
I want to change the entire setup - i even bought a new motherboard (supermicro x10dri - using 2 of the 2680 v3)

The question is - what should i do about replacing the drives?
Should i build the new server containing 3 raid z1 (5 drives each) and move the data?
Or should i replace the current disks and expand the pool and then replace the hardware?

If its important in any way - i used to change the current disks (i had 5 of the 4tb WD red plus drives, and i changed them the toshiba drives and added 5 more to have the current setup)

MrGuvernment

Patron
What are you using the system for and why Raid Z1?

gilgedje

Dabbler
What are you using the system for and why Raid Z1?
Mostly media for plex
Raid z1 because when i started i had 5 drives (as i mentioned above)
So i wanted to get the most storage and i had small drives (4tb) with spares to change any faulty
When i changed to the 6tb drives i wanted to keep the media so i added a raid z1 with 5 6tb disks to the same pool and changed the original raid z1 to the 6 tb drives - getting 10 6tb drives

My question was how to proceed knowing its not the best configuration for my future system and since i already change almost everything i can move the data to a diffrent configuration server

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I want to change the entire setup
How? Why? What is your use-case? What aspect does the current setup not address properly?

gilgedje

Dabbler
How? Why? What is your use-case? What aspect does the current setup not address properly?
Today i am able to recreate the entire server is what i mean
I have a new chasis, new disks and hardware.

Since i change the disks to a higher capacity disks my main concern is losing data while changing faulty drives in the future since it will take longer to replace a faulty disk

And my main question is how should i build the new server?
Should i just replace the disk and stay in the same configuration cause having 3 raid z1 is somewhat of a 3 disk redundant
Or should i build a single raid z2 with everything i have - although i understand the iops will decrease too

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
A single 17 disk wide vdev is not recommended. I would go for 2x 8 RAIDZ2 and one hotspare.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
@gilgedje , it would be helpful to know what your use-case is. Without telling people what you want to do with your NAS, can only give generalized information. But if you want to do video editing, that requires a totally different setup compared to archiving pictures.

gilgedje

Dabbler
@gilgedje , it would be helpful to know what your use-case is. Without telling people what you want to do with your NAS, can only give generalized information. But if you want to do video editing, that requires a totally different setup compared to archiving pictures.
As i said, mostly plex media
Its most of the use case
I have arrs and qbit to download media
I have a gpu for transcoding and i stream to multiple people - maximum of 10 people
I also have about 2 tb of ssd nvme for cache

So i mostly stream media.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
2x 7 plus hotspare or 3x 5 RAIDZ2 ... I am very conservative with my data and would never use RAIDZ1 for long term storage. And you should not go over 12 disk wide vdevs. Then - just pondering - with that number of disks maybe DRAID is for you. That would imply pool creation on the command line but TN can perfectly well use it afterwards.

Etorix

Wizard
As i said, mostly plex media
Then raidz# is adequate, save for downloading torrents, whose constant write activity with small blocks would do better on mirrors (or even a single drive…).
Raidz1 is advised against with large drives, for data safety in the advent of failure. So 2 * 8-wide raidz2 + 1 spare (hot or cold) is really optimal. You may consider 2 * 7- wide raidz2 + 3 spares, or raidz3 if you're worried. 3 * 5-wide raidz2 + 3 spares is possible, but looks to be excessively cautious and not very efficient. Anything involving raidz1 is a lot less secure than 2*8z2+1s.

I also have about 2 tb of ssd nvme for cache
What do you mean by "cache"?
With 256 GB RAM you can actually afford 2 TB L2ARC without performance penalty… but it's likely that you get no benefit out of it because ARC is already large enough.
If this is a SLOG, you have no stated use for it, and I bet that the drive is not suited to this application.