Remote SSH still not working. I'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexgdb

Dabbler
I posted a thread on here a while ago sharing my problem with you guys about SSHing into my FreeNas 8.0.1 Beta4 box remotely. There are no problems at all doing it locally, just over the internet. Here is what I have tried already:

* Opened port 22 on my router, and forwarded it to my NAS box
* Enabled SSH on the NAS box, and set the port to 22.
* Obtained a DynDns address so I can connect with a 'static' IP.
* Changed the port to 3612 incase my ISP was blocking port 22.
* Changed my hosts.allow file in /etc/ to ALL : ALL : allow

I have no idea why I can't connect to my server remotely, i'm totally out of ideas. Could it be a bug in the current release?

joeschmuck

Old Man
The problem has to be in your network setup if you can do it locally. What ISP do you have and have you confirmed if they block port 22? You could give tech support a call. As for firewalls and port forwarding, did you really port forward port 22 to the correct local IP address? I don't need the answers but this might help you out.

1) What is your FreeNAS Static IP address? Mine: 192.168.1.51
2) On your router did you forward port 22 to your IP address (192.168.1.51 for me)?
3) What does www.ipchicken.com say your IP address is?
4) Are you entering that IP address into your SSH program (Putty for me).
5) What type of error message are you getting?
6) Last ditch effort, put your FreeNAS IP address in the DMZ on your router. That will take the router out of the equation.
7) Do you have more than one firewall/router in your network?

Alexgdb

Dabbler
I've tried all of those, also I've tried putting it in DMZ. Still times out when I try to connect using my iPhone over 3G.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Over your iPhone? Have you tried over a real remote computer connection? I don't think you will get much help for an iPhone application issue.

Alexgdb

Dabbler
No, that's just how I'm quickly checking it. It connects locally, and I have also tried connecting via a real remote connection. I've tried everything.

ProtoSD

MVP
Just to verify, you're saying when you try to connect remotely using a real computer from somewhere else on the internet it works?

Alexgdb

Dabbler
I've placed the NAS (192.168.0.130) in the DMZ, acquired a Dynamic DNS address, set hosts.allow to ALL : ALL : allow, and forwarded all incoming SSH connections to 192.168.0.130. What more could there be to make the remote connections time out?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you figured it out. To be honest I wasn't sure you were going to make it work from an iPhone if you couldn't get it to work to a traditional remote computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.