Release Dates: 11.1-U8? 11.2-U6?

NASbox

Guru
IIUC there is some sort of bug so that jira doesn't display the expected release dates like redmine did.
Does anyone have any idea when the relapse dates are coming back?
Specifically I am watching and would appreciate anticipated ETAs for:
11.1-U8?
11.2-U6?
Thanks...
P.S.: Maybe pin the answer until things get fixed

D

dlavigne

They don't show in the Release Information page as no dates have been set for them yet. The 11.1 branch is legacy (only receiving major security updates) and the 11.2 branch is nearing the end of its life cycle and will move to legacy once 11.3 is released later this year.

NASbox

Guru
They don't show in the Release Information page as no dates have been set for them yet. The 11.1 branch is legacy (only receiving major security updates) and the 11.2 branch is nearing the end of its life cycle and will move to legacy once 11.3 is released later this year.

@dlavigne thanks for the reply. I tend to run well behind the leading edge because I don't have the expertise to easily fix problems and stability is my highest value so I'm timing a jump from 11.1-U7 to 11.2-U? when I feel things are pretty settled.

I am assuming that with update set to FreeNAS-11-Stable it will notify me when 11.1-U8 is released?
When does FreeNAS-11-Stable switch to the 11.2 branch?
Do I have to switch it manually or will that happen eventually?

as no dates have been set for them yet
Just wondering if this Is this a change in policy since the old system used to have dates?

Jessep

Patron
Why does the public road map require a Jira login? Which I assume would consume a Jira license?
1562874953215.png

D

dlavigne

Why does the public road map require a Jira login? Which I assume would consume a Jira license?
View attachment 31815

We're still trying to figure that part out--it is either an undocumented permissions setting or a bug in the widget that displays the roadmap.

It does not consume a license as we have been granted an open source license for Jira usage.

NASbox

Guru
We are tightening up our release engineering processes to only display dates on the Roadmap once they have been confirmed as realistic target dates (that is, we are fairly certain that development and QE will be complete by that date).
I don't know if my perception is incorrect or not, but from what I observed the dates reported under the old system were great (and certainly more than good enough for planning). If a next release is 2-3 weeks, vs 2-3 months, I may choose to wait, and likewise if I know it is in 2-3 weeks I'm not going to have to waste time daily to look up a password and log in just to find out there is no date. From my perspective as a user, at this point 11.1-U8, 11.2-U6, and 11.3 and 12.0 should have dates, and clearly 12.0 is going to be a very rough estimate and will change.

I don't know if others feel the same way, but that's my take on it. Even a sticky post in the forum would be good if Jira is too difficult to work with.

MikeyG

Patron
I don't know if my perception is incorrect or not, but from what I observed the dates reported under the old system were great (and certainly more than good enough for planning). If a next release is 2-3 weeks, vs 2-3 months, I may choose to wait, and likewise if I know it is in 2-3 weeks I'm not going to have to waste time daily to look up a password and log in just to find out there is no date. From my perspective as a user, at this point 11.1-U8, 11.2-U6, and 11.3 and 12.0 should have dates, and clearly 12.0 is going to be a very rough estimate and will change.

I don't know if others feel the same way, but that's my take on it. Even a sticky post in the forum would be good if Jira is too difficult to work with.
Also agree with this. I like having dates for planning, as I often schedule other bits of maintenance once FreeNAS needs to go down for upgrades. I totally understand that the dates change, even last minute, but rough estimates are better than nothing. I'm not about to complain if an update needs an extra week to iron out some bugs. Perhaps others did in the past though.