Recovery Key Usage for Raid-Z?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighMarch

Cadet
Hey Folks,

I've had a FreeNas running wonderfully for about 2 years, and after doing a large amount of updating, the system wouldn't boot (it gave an error about 'no video driver available to kernel' and wouldn't even let me into sum), and since then I have managed to drop the ball repeatedly in my recovery efforts. I re-installed on top of the broken installation, and it worked fine. Except that it wiped the media, so my /data/geli folder was lost. I do have a copy of my key, but none of the passphrases I expected it to be using are working. I also have a 'recovery passphrase' written down, but I don't believe I set a recovery key when I created the passphrase, and I don't see how/where to provide just a recovery key, so I don't know how useful that is.

I'm really hoping that the answer isn't that I'm boned and my data's lost, but it's kind of looking like it. I think I'm done with using encryption either way.

I'll keep sitting here and trying to type in the passphrase which might be right, but just thought I would post here to see if maybe I can use the recovery key.

p.s: I have seen this article https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/recover-encryption-key.16593/ but nothing in there really helps me.

m0nkey_

MVP
If you don't have the correct keys, then yes, you are "boned". It's likely between the time of setting up the pool and today, your pool changed invalidating the keys you have.

The best way to proceed now is to recover your data from backups.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The recovery key does not take a password.

Status
Not open for further replies.