Recover pool without config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan W. Smtih

Explorer
Here's the situation I put myself in by not doing proper backups:

- The USB stick running my FreeNAS 9.3 box stopped booting.
- I don't have a copy of the config file.
- I tried following the methodology on from Recover configure from failing boot device and used:

zpool import -R /mnt POOL_ID oldboot

- Got the error: cannot import 'freenas-boot' as 'oldboot': I/O error - Destroy and re-create the pool from a backup source.

So, it doesn't look like I can get the config. I'm not worried about that if I can still get to my data. Running `zpool import` I see my primary data pool. `state: ONLINE` and `status: The pool was last accessed by another system.` From what I've read, it sounds like I can just install FreeNAS on another USB and have it import, but I'd like to verify that before I try.

And the other data point. In my notes from when I setup the machine, I have it listed that I turned on the default encryption (lz4). I never set a password for it. (And, frankly, I'm not sure I left it on since I rebuilt the machine a couple of times when I was first setting it up. He says, hopefully).

So, my questions are:

1. Is there something else I can try to get at the data on the USB drive?

2. Can I just install FreeNAS on another USB and then import my data pool?

3. If I figure out that it was encrypted, I'm guessing that means I have to recover the key if I want any chance to get my data. Is there any other way I can go about that with the old USB drive?

Thanks!
-a

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Your data (all your ZFS pools for your data) are fine, and separate from the FreeNAS OS. Just make a new install of FreeNAS, auto-import your pool, and you'll see you'll be fine. If your system dataset was on your data pool, you can even recover your config db.

Alan W. Smtih

Explorer
Woooooo Hoooo! (sorry, little bit excited.)

Worked just fine. Thanks for confirming. (and apparently I need to take more careful notes and not confuse encryption with compression).

After installing on the new USB stick, the Initial Configuration Wizard came up as expected. I got the expected prompt from Figure 3.1c showing the "Volume Import Screen". Clicked next, completed the rest of the wizard and everything mounted up just fine.

And now, I'm doing what I should have done the first time: Mirroring the Boot Device.

Thanks again!

-a

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Woooooo Hoooo! (sorry, little bit excited.)

Worked just fine. Thanks for confirming. (and apparently I need to take more careful notes and not confuse encryption with compression).

After installing on the new USB stick, the Initial Configuration Wizard came up as expected. I got the expected prompt from Figure 3.1c showing the "Volume Import Screen". Clicked next, completed the rest of the wizard and everything mounted up just fine.

And now, I'm doing what I should have done the first time: Mirroring the Boot Device.

Thanks again!

-a
It is our pleasure to assist you brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.