Recover accidentally deleted directory in Freenas 11.1 U4

Arka Banerjee

Dabbler
I have accidentally deleted a directory in Freenas 11.1 U4. Snapshot, recycle bin or backup not configured. There is any tool or way to recover that directory. That directory size is very small and the share is not a busy one.

For all practical purposes, no.

Not to rub salt in your wounds but it would be malpractice if I didn't tell you: snapshots are a good thing and would have saved you in this case. Also, backups.

Cheers,
Matt

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
For all practical purposes, no.
We're into arcane voodoo along the lines of "attempt to forcibly mount a previous transaction group before the delete occurred, and hope the blocks on disk haven't been trashed by new writes yet" which might have some margin of success if the pool was exported right when the delete was noticed.

At this point, the best thing to do is take this as a learning experience and configure snapshots and backups.

Maybe 'unless you have a credit card number, no' would have been more accurate? And, even then, it's probably just 'maybe'.

Cheers,
Matt

William Bravin

Contributor
hello all

I have a slightly different problem.

I had to rebuild my truenas server. Prior to this all was working perfectly with no issues.

My ACL are all identical and i have access to all the files.

I only use smb as a share

All SMB share have recycle bin enabled

Yest once i delete a file from the dataset it does not go to the recycle bin

I do not see these files anywhere

what did i not configured properly?

thank you in advance for your response

Last edited: