Recommended disk configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobp85

Cadet
Hey

We want to setup a new NAS. We going to use FreeNAS, running on a DELL R520 with H700 controller and 6 x 2TB disks, running RAID5.

Should we install the FreeNAS on the RAID5 where we also want the data to be stored og should we get 2 small disks running ie. RAID1 for the OS?

Thanks for your help.

/Jacob

wussy

Explorer
Hi,
Running RAID5 or RAID1 means you have configured it on the raid controller?!
Normally you would go with ZFS and don´t use a raid on raid controller!!!!

ZFS means an advanced software raid so Freenas will take care about your raid by software.

Here is the link to the manual: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes

b1ghen

Contributor
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I recommend you look through some documentation and maybe browse the forum to get a better understanding of the requirements and capabilities. Regarding you question about where to install I would recommend checking http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Installing_and_Upgrading_FreeNAS

Also try and look up what is recommended when it comes to using a hardware RAID controller as well, it's usually not the best thing when it comes to using ZFS.

Jacobp85

Cadet
Thanks for your help.

So your recommendations is to skip the Hardware RAID and make FreeNAS control the RAID (Software RAID) and maybe install a small SD-card/USB for the OS?

Is 8 GB's of ram enough?
Should a Intel Xeon E5606 Processor (2.13GHz, 4C, 8M Cache, 4.80 GT/s QPI, 80W TDP), DDR3-1066MH) be okay?

StephenFry

Contributor
Indeed, ZFS is in my experience much more powerful than a hardware raid can ever be.

Yes, use a flash memory card for the OS. Many use a USB stick, I use a CompactFlash card in an IDE converter.

8GB should be plenty for the number of TBs you plan to have.

Processor specs are more than enough, many will tell you it's overkill.

louisk

Patron
Hey,
We want to setup a new NAS. We going to use FreeNAS, running on a DELL R520 with H700 controller and 6 x 2TB disks, running RAID5.
Should we install the FreeNAS on the RAID5 where we also want the data to be stored og should we get 2 small disks running ie. RAID1 for the OS?
Thanks for your help.
/Jacob

I would suggest:
H700 in jbod mode. Let ZFS handle the disk management (RAIDZ).
Upgrade RAM to 12G. The general rule is 1G RAM per 1T of storage. If you want to use dedupe (will be available soon), plan on 5G RAM per 1T storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.