Read very slow, but wirte not slow, Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xuanguang

Cadet
My NAS system:
Build FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)
Platform AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory 7774MB
3 Hard disk: WD1T Green, WD2T Green, WD1T Blue.

CIFS Share, Large RW and send files are all enabled.

Gbits Net, and CAT-6 Network cable.

My client PC is i7 cpu, 4G ram , and write(pc to nas) speed around 50MBytes/s, but read(NAS to pc) speed only 2~4MBytes/s.
I change the client PC to use 802.n wireless card, write speed around 10MBytes/s, read speed around 6M Bytes/s.

I Tryed lots of ways, but can't improve, please help!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

mattlach

Patron
That is odd.

It is more typical to have good read speeds, but poor write speeds.

What NIC are you using? On board NICs (particularly Realtek implementations) tend to be horrible, and I would recommend against using Wireless at all, as wireless speeds are typically going to be really bad, sort of like you are experiencing)

Have you tried running iPerf between the server and your clients?

Do "iperf -s" from the console on your server (it's installed by default with FreeNAS), and then from your client machine, download iperf and run "iperf -c ipofserver" and report back what kind of speeds you get.

My best guess is that you'd be better off with better network cards. Anything by Realtek is absolute garbage. Typically anything Intel is going to be pretty good, also Broadcoms NetXtreme line is usually pretty good.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
With only 2-4MB/sec read, I'm wondering if you have a failing hard drive. I'd expect faster performance than 2-4MB/sec over wireless! That is just abysmal. Something is wrong, and it's NOT a network card(unless the network card is going bad).

You COULD try upgrading to 8.3. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to fix your problem, but stranger things have happened.

mattlach

Patron
With only 2-4MB/sec read, I'm wondering if you have a failing hard drive. I'd expect faster performance than 2-4MB/sec over wireless! That is just abysmal. Something is wrong, and it's NOT a network card(unless the network card is going bad).

You COULD try upgrading to 8.3. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to fix your problem, but stranger things have happened.

You could be right, but wouldn't a failing drive affect both reads and writes?

I have found that bad NIC's can exhibit very strange and unpredictable behavior, though you are right, 2-4MB/s is pretty low even for a bad NIC.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I also tend to dismiss your NIC as the problem since you are getting more than 10 times your read speeds as writes.

If you do DD tests for read and write, what do you get?

xuanguang

Cadet
Thanks very much for your replies, after about half a month I finally see person help, thanks very much!

I use this main board in server machine, ASUS E45M1-M PRO, so it's net card is Realtek, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s).
About the freenas version, at that time,8.3.0 release version havn't finished, I tried 8.3.0 RC first, but the speed is even slower, the wirte and read speed are all under 10MByte/s, so I changed to 8.2.0-RELEASE. Now 8.3.0 is released, but I think if I changed to this version, and if have problem, I can't come back to 8.2.0 again(because of the hard disk type).

I'll try your suggestions tonight after my work , now I'm working at office, my NAS is in my home.

Thanks very much!!!!:)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You CAN use 8.3 and then go back to 8.2. The important thing is that the zpool NOT be upgraded to v28. Pre-8.3 supports v15. As long as you don't run the command "zpool upgrade zpoolname" and you don't create the zpool in 8.3 you can always go back. The zpool does NOT upgrade automatically under any circumstances. The GUI does NOT have any button to upgrade the zpool. The only way is via command line.

My advice to everyone is to stick with v15 and not upgrade until you have thoroughly tested 8.3 and are satisfied with it. It's easy to go back if you really have to, but if 8.3 doesn't work you don't really have another version you can use until the problems are fixed in 8.3 and a new RELEASE is made.

xuanguang

Cadet
Thanks, guys, I have solved this problem 1 year ago, and it is the client network adapter configuration problem.
I changed my mainboard recently, and the read/write speed is always above 90MB/S.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.