Re-aranging hard drives in hot swap enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scharbag

Guru
I am a bit neurotic and would like to re-arrange my hard drives in my FreeNAS 9.3 box to make a little more sense.

I can do this "live" by exporting and importing the pools from my understanding.

My question is, if I shut off the server normally (all pools still attached to FreeNAS) and then swap the bays around the system should restart and find all the pools no problem right?

I think that is the case as when it boots it tries to find all the drives using the GPTIDs right?

Cheers,

danb35

Hall of Famer
My question is, if I shut off the server normally (all pools still attached to FreeNAS) and then swap the bays around the system should restart and find all the pools no problem right?
Correct.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can move drives around as you wish, as long as FreeNAS can access them (reliably), ZFS will do its part.

Starpulkka

Contributor
As we now progress on disks move how about..
As pool vdevs are in same machine its ok to move drives in sata ports. But how about if you move disks to another machine, is normal shutdown ok or do you need export pool first before moving disks, so does old machine hostid get ignored or deleted or what happens?

As i dont see in manual for moving pools to another machine, only import pool and import disk section is found manual. I have been taught always export before moving disks, but is it really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.