rc.d configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
In the file /conf/base/etc/rc.d is a group of vmware values. If I'm not using this on a VM can I safely remove these? Better question is does it gain me anything by removing these such as freeing up any resources?

Thanks,
Mark

Milhouse

Guru
Not sure about rc.d, but I normally comment out the GEOM related items in /boot/loader.conf, this prevents the GEOM modules from being loaded. Haven't noticed any problems so far.

joeschmuck

Old Man
With running 4MB or RAM, I'm going to try an free up as much space as possible and not run any code that isn't relevant to the hardware like VM for instance. It's great when I test in a VM but on the real deal I'd like to get rid of it. I did comment out the vmware lines and the system appears fine, and I don't see any noticeable memory reduction, maybe the modules didn't load before because it wasn't a VM.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a shot in about 5 minutes. Minidlna is a pain in my rear trying to get it to update the database without having to reboot the machine. Actually since I save my database on the hard drive a reboot doesn't even work. Now I'm trying to figure out the correct command to force it to rebuild the structure without blowing away the database manually (via script) first but that my be the temporary fix. Eh, off topic. EDIT: Think I found the fix to minidlna, might take a few hours to get it correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.