SOLVED Random ping drops, Samba freezing, web super slow

Sawtaytoes

Patron
After installing Plex, I noticed my system performance dropped significantly not long after. Even so, that might've just been a coincidence.

I'm not seeing any system load, but I'm getting random ping drops, accessing Samba now freezes up Windows Explorer, and the Web Interface is super slow. Sometimes, it doesn't even load.

Not sure what happened. Everything was working fine earlier. I installed Plex and then Resilio-Sync. Still, it was all fine. I went to add a new dataset and noticed I couldn't access the Web UI.

After that, it's been slow like this.
  • ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM
  • Eypc 7323p
  • 128GB ECC RAM
  • 3 x LSI 9305 24i
  • 1 x ASUS Hyper M.2 PCI 4.0
  • 8 x Intel Optane 905p (cache, log, metadata)
  • 8 x 2TB SSDs (unused at the moment)
  • 2 x 160GB SSDs (boot)
  • 2 x 60GB SSDs (system drive)
  • 35 x HGST HDDs (includes iocage/ right now, but I wanna move it to the system drive SSDs)
  • HDDs setup in 2 pools of 10 mirrors each, but the second pool doesn't have 10 drives as I'm waiting for replacements.
  • Using 1 of the onboard 10Gb NICs connected to an 8-port UniFi Aggregation Switch with a MikroTik SFP+ adapter
I'm posting some weird things I saw at boot.

This one's related to loading the ZFS zpools. Not sure what all this stuff is about, but it looks bad. All 3 pools look like this:
Screenshot_20221217_063430.png

I'm not using vmware and have no virtual machines.
Screenshot_20221217_063504.png

Not sure if I need `nmbd` running, but I do have Samba shares:
Screenshot_20221217_063526.png

I also saw an error like this in my CLI. I've seen it a multiple times:
Code:
2022-12-17 06:35:29,845:wsdd WARNING(pid 6020): no interface given, using all interfaces
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py", line 1752, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py", line 1699, in main
    nm = RouteSocketAddressMonitor(s)
  File "/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py", line 997, in __call__
    obj.enumerate()
  File "/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py", line 1353, in enumerate
    self.parse_route_socket_response(rt_buf.raw, True)
  File "/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py", line 1388, in parse_route_socket_response
    new_intf = self.parse_addrs(buf, sa_offset, offset + rtm_len,
  File "/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py", line 1438, in parse_addrs
    self.handle_new_address(addr, addr_family, intf)
  File "/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py", line 1082, in handle_new_address
    mch = MulticastHandler(addr_family, addr, interface, self.selector)
  File "/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py", line 77, in __init__
    self.init_v4()
  File "/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py", line 171, in init_v4
    self.uc_send_socket.bind((self.address, WSD_UDP_PORT))
OSError: [Errno 48] Address already in use

Do you know what might be causing this problem or how I can check?

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware, including what ethernet adapter you are using.

You've basically given no one anything to work with, so the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware, including what ethernet adapter you are using.

You've basically given no one anything to work with, so the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.
Added the missing info! Sorry about that!

Sawtaytoes

Patron
After looking deeper at the issue, `wsdd` is related to Windows namespaces. I'm wondering if it's something to do with those or NETBIOS.

Or maybe it's Plex even if I stopped the jail.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
I just did a uname -a, and it's showing FreeBSD 13.1. Pretty sure TrueNAS is only setup for 13.0.

Strange.

1671283486294.png

Is this the issue? Is there a way to revert back to 13.0?

Sawtaytoes

Patron
I reinstalled from the 13.0 USB stick and got the same 13.1 version even after clearing the boot drive but keeping the config database.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I just did a uname -a, and it's showing FreeBSD 13.1. Pretty sure TrueNAS is only setup for 13.0.

You're confusing FreeBSD 13.1 with TrueNAS. While the major version numbers of both are 13, TrueNAS 13.0 is based off of FreeBSD 13.1. You are making some variation on a common error where people assume that FreeNAS 13.x must be based on FreeBSD 13.x for the same value of x. This is not the case. Especially now, as the developers have focused more on SCALE, the CORE development side has slowed down to reflect the more mature product status. However, this also means that when new hardware is released and there's now a driver in FreeBSD 13.2 for the "rgy" ethernet card (clearly a made up example), the way this will end up in TrueNAS 13.0-U9 or whatever is that FreeBSD 13.2 gets used as the base OS for TrueNAS 13.0-U9. But the TrueNAS version might not be flipped to 13.1 until there is some major new feature.

Confusing, right?

Sawtaytoes

Patron
Figured it out. It's something to do with the NIC, the SFP+ adapter, or the switch.

When running the NIC over 1Gb using an SFP adapter in the same port, it works fine.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
You're confusing FreeBSD 13.1 with TrueNAS. While the major version numbers of both are 13, TrueNAS 13.0 is based off of FreeBSD 13.1. You are making some variation on a common error where people assume that FreeNAS 13.x must be based on FreeBSD 13.x for the same value of x. This is not the case. Especially now, as the developers have focused more on SCALE, the CORE development side has slowed down to reflect the more mature product status. However, this also means that when new hardware is released and there's now a driver in FreeBSD 13.2 for the "rgy" ethernet card (clearly a made up example), the way this will end up in TrueNAS 13.0-U9 or whatever is that FreeBSD 13.2 gets used as the base OS for TrueNAS 13.0-U9. But the TrueNAS version might not be flipped to 13.1 until there is some major new feature.

Confusing, right?
Very confusing. Should I upgrade to TrueNAS SCALE (some Linux distro?) or stick with FreeBSD for now?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Added the missing info! Sorry about that!

Not a problem. But definitely today's most unexpected surprise. Normally when I have to send those messages somebody comes back and reports they've got some desktop board with 8GB and a Realtek ethernet. You've got a hell of a system there, plus you seem to have some semi-reasonable idea about what you're doing.

My suspicion is that you're running into trouble with whatever Broadcom piece of garbage that ASRock Rack put on that board. Now, in fairness, I say that almost every time I see "Broadcom" and "network" in proximity, but in my experience, the FreeBSD drivers -- especially if it's bxe -- for this that Broadcom has provided seem to be no end of trouble for anyone having to suffer them.

If you can, I recommend picking an alternative ethernet such as a Chelsio 520 or Intel X520 (be sure the card is actual Intel), or anything else endorsed in the 10 Gig Networking Primer. These cards are known to work well on both Core and Scale.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
If you have any Ethernet card recommendations, I've got free PCIe slots I can use.

My 10Gb Ethernet adapters are showing up as bnxt0 and bnxt1.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Very confusing.

I think they made a mistake in marrying the major version numbers. I mean, if I ask you what software version is running on your TiVo, you just say "21.11.1.v14", and if I asked you what Linux version it was based off, you'd probably look at me screwy, right? The same is true for your TV, which more likely than not has an embedded Linux BusyBox in it even if you cannot get to it, or your ESXi hypervisor, or any of the other hundreds of things we interact with on a daily basis that have a variant of a UNIX-based embedded operating system. None of that is confusing for people. But there is something about the similarity of "FreeNAS/TrueNAS 13" and "FreeBSD 13" that breaks people.

Should I upgrade to TrueNAS SCALE (some Linux distro?) or stick with FreeBSD for now?

It's really your choice. SCALE is still an experimental product, but if you might need any of the SCALE specific features, either now or down the road, perhaps. SCALE will not have the FreeBSD jail support or the native integration with ZFS ARC that allows much better memory management. But SCALE may have better support for that Broadcom junk, it has Kubernetes, and people who are "familiar" with Linux who have a fear of BSD seem to find it more pleasant. I would note that I've seen some users reporting problems with Plex on SCALE lately.

I'm trying to limit this to things that I think would be relevant to you.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
I'll keep with TrueNAS Core for now. Seems better supported overall.

As confirmation, it was that specific Mikrotik SFP+ adapter. I tried a couple others and they work fine at 10Gb. Not sure why that one adapter was bad.