Raidz2 expansion problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prod

Dabbler
So I have 4 x 5TB HDD running Raidz2. I bought 2 more 5TB HDD today. When trying to expand it only gave me stripe option or mirror. So I deceived to expand one at a time. Long story short. These two drives are in stripe with each other.

Question is how to do i delete this stripe disks and add them to the Raidz2 array. I am running 9.3

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You cannot extend a VDEV. This is well documented everywhere. If you added 2 disks striped to your pool, you are stuck with it. Backup the data, blow away your pool and fix it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yep you need to backup your data and rebuild your pool.

prod

Dabbler
ok happy to remove my data, so you cant extend zfs raid2 pool?

Pointeo13

Explorer
ok happy to remove my data, so you cant extend zfs raid2 pool?

If you want to expand the pool you need to add another four disks, not just two. You cant add more disks within vdev but you can add another vdev in the pool, hence why you need four disks to do so. Either wipe the pool or buy two more disks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you want to expand the pool you need to add another four disks, not just two. You cant add more disks within vdev but you can add another vdev in the pool, hence why you need four disks to do so. Either wipe the pool or buy two more disks
you don't have to add 4 disks. you can add 2 disks in a mirror if you want. It's just wont look pretty and be the same. Actually what this person did was extend their pool with a single disk which could be what someone wants to do but probably not something that was intentional.

Pointeo13

Explorer
you don't have to add 4 disks. you can add 2 disks in a mirror if you want. It's just wont look pretty and be the same. Actually what this person did was extend their pool with a single disk which could be what someone wants to do but probably not something that was intentional.

actually good point, that is true

tvsjr

Guru
Keep in mind that, until you get your array fixed (which is going to require a rebuild), a failure of either of those stripe disks will render your entire pool unusable. I'm going to assume you didn't burn these drives in, so infant mortality is a real concern... in short, I wouldn't screw around too long at getting this fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.