raidZ1 read speeds slow?

Anon_the_Nine

Dabbler
HI guys i've been transferring files from one dataset to another within my NAS and the transfer rate is about 70MB/s according to the Rsync transfer. Is this the transfer rate i should be expecting when internally transferring data?

rsync output:
45,739,566,239 100% 70.88MB/s 0:10:15 (xfr#13, to-chk=0/13)

CPU: Intel core Xeon E3-1230 v6
RAM: 16GB ECC memory
Drives 4 x 4TB Seagate IronWolf NAS 4TB 5900RPM
raid: Z1

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Depends on the data... small numbers of large files should go quickly, but a single VDEV pool as you seem to have will be limited by the IOPS of one drive, so if you have a high number of smaller files, then the IOPS load will slow you down to single drive speeds (or even worse since you're also reading from the same drives and have seek time to consider).

Anon_the_Nine

Dabbler
Depends on the data... small numbers of large files should go quickly, but a single VDEV pool as you seem to have will be limited by the IOPS of one drive, so if you have a high number of smaller files, then the IOPS load will slow you down to single drive speeds (or even worse since you're also reading from the same drives and have seek time to consider).
Hi sretalla thanks for replying. The files i was transferring were several GB video files. This type of work load transferring large files within my NAS is very typical for me and trying to improve this will be very beneficial do you know i could optimise this if i can?

Also is there anyway i can test the reads and write max speed of my NAS? Sort of like CrystalDiskMark