RAID with partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombai

Cadet
Hi guys,

On a server with ubuntu desktop in the cloud that had had two 500GB drives which both had 2 partitions, one 20GB (20x1 GB RAID1) and 480GB (480x2 RAID0) sizes approx. I have two HDD of 2TBs each one, I could do something similar? I.e. make a 0.5TB partition on both disks, and make it as RAID 1 (important data), and the other partition on both disks 1.5TB as RAID0 (downloads and other no important files). Most likely make it as UFS.

I've just been trying with FreeNAS in virtualbox and I only see that can I do it with volumes(disks), but I have not seen the option to partition before installing any RAID ..

Thanks.

bombai

Cadet
Yes, I have already read it. As I dont see any about partition on it, I ask here.

ZFS Noob

Contributor
Yes, I have already read it. As I dont see any about partition on it, I ask here.

FreeNAS is designed to be used with entire disks. It boots from flash media, and there's no reason not to simply mirror both drives the way you're talking about. You don't really gain anything by setting up partitioning first, but you make things a whole lot more complicated in the process.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thanks Noob.

That is epic! It's meant as a true heartfelt "thank you", but its could also be construed as a put-down in a slightly different light! I got a good laugh.

bombai

Cadet
Not as put-down, thanks for his explanation because the documentation doesnt tell any about partitions. If one tells "No. Please read the documentation" have to be sure if tells some about my question.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Not as put-down, thanks for his explanation because the documentation doesnt tell any about partitions. If one tells "No. Please read the documentation" have to be sure if tells some about my question.
Its actually simple. If there is nothing in the documentation about it, then it isn't officially supported. Not to mention you could have bothered to use the search feature of the forums.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.