raid issue on old NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruggs88

Dabbler
Hi all, I built a NAS maybe 4 years ago using FreeNAS 8.3.1, inside I configured a mirror-RAID with two WD Green 3TB drives (don't remember how I configured that RAID), then partitioned the resulting 3Gb array into two separate access drives, one labeled 'backup' at 2Tb and one labeled 'media' at 1TB.

I'm installing a PoE security system and thought of using the NAS for clip storage, so I pulled it out and fired it up. Everything was intact and how it used to be, no errors. So I bought an additional 4Gb WD Purple to use exclusively for security cam clips. I plugged it into SATA port 3 on the mobo figuring if I leave the two WD Greens on ports 1&2 it will simply recognize a separate drive. Powered it on then went into the GUI and to my horror it now has an alert that says:
  • WARNING: The volume Backup (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN
  • OK: The volume Media (ZFS) status is HEALTHY
I navigate to the volumes tab and see:
Code:
Backup /mnt/Backup 0 (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space UNKNOWN
Media /mnt/Media 3.9 MiB (0%) 2.7 TiB 2.7 TiB HEALTHY

So it still recognizes the raid partition, but Media is showing as 3Tb and Backup is showing as 0kb.... Media also says it only has 3.9mib 0% full which is wrong - - there is about 1Gb of data on the array (split between the two partitions)!

I clicked scrub and this is what it kicked back:
Code:
Environment:
Software Version: FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty)
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://192.168.1.138/storage/scrub/1/
Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
  105.						 response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  166.		 return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  20.				 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/views.py" in zpool_scrub
  810.	 pool = notifier().zpool_parse(volume.vol_name)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in zpool_parse
  3758.		 parse = zfs.parse_status(name, doc, res)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/zfs.py" in parse_status
  661.	 status = data.split('config:')[1]
Exception Type: IndexError at /storage/scrub/1/
Exception Value: list index out of range

To be honest it's been so long since I configured this machine I have no idea what to do next. I really hope I did not destroy all of my data... even as a mirrored array, one would imagine there is a way to get it up again?

Please let me know if any of you have any suggestions or ideas, thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

praecorloth

Contributor
Shut the machine down, unplug your new Purple drive, fire it back up? Just to see if everything returns to the way it was.

praecorloth

Contributor
Dang, I was hoping it'd be an easy one. zpool status? Are the disks showing up properly?

joeschmuck

Old Man
So your fix is pretty easy and should recover access to your data. Disconnect the Purple drive for now.

Download a copy of FreeNAS 8.3.1.9 (I think that was the latest version for that build) and install on to a new USB flash drive (do not use your original flash drive, keep it safe). Auto Import your pool will work if the pool is available. Next configure the NIC/Gateway. Next create shares to your datasets. Last, access your data and save it before the data is beyond recovery.

Hope this helps.

scruggs88

Dabbler
zpool status comes back only showing Media pool (no known data errors) but Backup pool doesn't even show up. Does this mean auto-importing the pools won't work? How should i tackle that if the pool isn't recognized anymore?

scruggs88

Dabbler
to be specific - it shows two drives/partitions. Media shows up with its name and under STATE it says 'online'. Below Media it says gptid/9955b472-e4eb-11e2-bbaf-406186e45f18 and also says 'online'. Could this be the Backup partition?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Below Media it says gptid/9955b472-e4eb-11e2-bbaf-406186e45f18 and also says 'online'. Could this be the Backup partition?
It could be.

Do the steps I stated above and see how it works. If you get too adventurous you may screw it up.

scruggs88

Dabbler
It could be.

Do the steps I stated above and see how it works. If you get too adventurous you may screw it up.

copy that. Have to go out and buy a new flash drive but will report back when I try it out (likely wont be until Tuesday, going out of town).

joeschmuck

Old Man
You just pulled this thing out of the closet so you should not be in any hurry in my opinion. Take your time if you want to recover any data. Also ensure you have a place to copy your data to once you do have access to it.

I wish you the best of luck.

scruggs88

Dabbler
Back at it! I bought a new flash drive and went on the FreeNAS site and I can't find anywhere to download older versions (8.3.1). It only gives me an option to download 11.1. I have a feeling this wont work, am I right? Any leads on the old version?

danb35

Hall of Famer

scruggs88

Dabbler
update: installed on fresh flash drive... booted up... ran import pool:

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# zpool import
		pool: Media
		   id: 15746093602058692145
	  state: ONLINE 
	action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.
	config: 

Media																	  ONLINE
					gptid/9955b472-e4eb-11e2-bbaf-406186e45f18	  ONLINE

so I imported the pool on the GUI, and its now only showing me one drive labeled 'Media' that is 2.7Gb with 0% full (empty)

ZPool Status kicks back:

Code:
pool: Media
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h29m with 0 errors on Sun Feb 26 00:29:34 2017
config:

NAME																			   STATE						READ	   WRITE	  CKSUM
				 Media																	  ONLINE						 0			   0			   0
					  gptid/9955b472-e4eb-11e2-bbaf-406186e45f18	  ONLINE						 0			   0			   0

errors: No known data errors

scruggs88

Dabbler
is it possible I created the RAID, imported the 3Tb drive I named 'MEDIA' and then partitioned it in the GUI to have the two ZFS volumes? would there be a way to recover those volumes if so?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Provide the output of df and you are looking for /mnt/Media/ and any subdirectories listed. It's likely you have a dataset or subdirectory listed and then you shared that.

Well I looked back at the previous postings and you said you had two WD hard drives installed yet at the present time it only appears you have a single hard drive installed. My advice is to mount this as a share and then start to backup all data you want.

Next examine the output of dmesg | grep Serial which is also located in /var/log/dmesg.today file. We are looking for the hard drives to see what was found. Look for the serial numbers of the drives found. Here is my example:

Code:
[root@freenas /mnt/farm2]# dmesg | grep Serial																					  
cd0: Serial Number 00000000000000000001																							 
ada0: Serial Number K1JUMLBD																										
ada1: Serial Number K1JRSWLD																										
ada2: Serial Number K1JUMW4D																										
ada3: Serial Number K1GVD84B																										
ada0: Serial Number K1JUMLBD																										
cd0: Serial Number 00000000000000000001																							 
ada1: Serial Number K1JRSWLD																										
ada2: Serial Number K1JUMW4D																										
ada3: Serial Number K1GVD84B																										
[root@freenas /mnt/farm2]#	

Next physically locate the drives by serial number. If you have both hard drives listed (the purple drive is not installed) then you likely don't have any data on one of the drives. I suspect that you will only have one of your hard drives listed and the other hard drive has failed.

Next power the system down and verify both hard drives are fully connected (SATA & Power Cable). Power back on and listen to your system, see if the suspect drive clicks or just doesn't spin up. I think you understand where I'm dragging you. If the drive has failed then there is nothing you can do about it, within reason unless that data is super valuable and then you could ship it to a data recovery company and pay big bucks to repair the drive.

Please post your results.

scruggs88

Dabbler
uh... so I feel dumb, but just in case somebody else has this issue again in the future... I, uh... well there's no easy way to say this, but when I installed my Purple drive I accidentally knocked out the power connector for one of my RAID drives o_O.... so.... turns out it wasnt spinning up because it had no power.

After all that, I plugged it back in, and everything is fine. So, thanks for the help everyone, but the power cord was just disconnected (I still can't believe it lol.)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yup, it happens and while it may feel like you wasted our time, you didn't. Someone will read this thread and go examine their system a bit harder. Actually I'm glad it was fixed and you didn't loose any data, that is the most important part.

Status
Not open for further replies.