Radon Duo 2850 16 Bay Server Dual E5530 CPU @ 2.4GHz 74GB RAM w/ 2x Raid Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJ0nes

Cadet
Dear freeNAS community

I just acquired a "Radon Duo 2850 16 Bay Server Dual E5530 CPU @ 2.4GHz 74GB RAM w/ 2x Raid Cards"

I believe the raid cards are adaptec, I have watched a few of the many freeNAS youTube vids out there and it is mentioned that software raid is the preferred option.

Being that I have 2 x raid cards for the 16 drive bays is there away to not have to hard ware raid drive, simply by connecting the drives to the cards as individual drives then letting freeNAS do its work.

OH and is this system freeNAS able.

I am sure you will need further info to answer which I will supply as it comes to hand.

Regards
-adam

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I just acquired a "Radon Duo 2850 16 Bay Server Dual E5530 CPU @ 2.4GHz 74GB RAM w/ 2x Raid Cards"
Just for reference, is it something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radon-Duo-...CPU-2-8GHz-73GB-RAM-w-ASR-51645-/222728852581

I believe the raid cards are adaptec, I have watched a few of the many freeNAS youTube vids out there and it is mentioned that software raid is the preferred option.

Being that I have 2 x raid cards for the 16 drive bays is there away to not have to hard ware raid drive, simply by connecting the drives to the cards as individual drives then letting freeNAS do its work.
True Hardware Raid Cards are a "no no" with FreeNas; unless that card can be cross-flashed to work like a true HBA. Need more details on the Model of the Adaptec cards you are speaking of, but first guess is that they are not going to work.

OH and is this system freeNAS able.
Possibly... Would just need more detailed specs to be sure. Also, this unit looks like it will be pretty loud so take that into consideration.

DrJ0nes

Cadet
Just for reference, is it something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radon-Duo-...CPU-2-8GHz-73GB-RAM-w-ASR-51645-/222728852581

True Hardware Raid Cards are a "no no" with FreeNas; unless that card can be cross-flashed to work like a true HBA. Need more details on the Model of the Adaptec cards you are speaking of, but first guess is that they are not going to work.

Possibly... Would just need more detailed specs to be sure. Also, this unit looks like it will be pretty loud so take that into consideration.

Dear Mirfster

The link you placed in your response is yes the machine just of different configuration, I have tried to find a spec / data sheet on the machine but with no luck.

Do you think the 16 bays are dependant upon using hardware raid card or could they be substituted for a card that is HBA, as I have no issue in purchasing a new card that would suit freeNAS's needs.

Noise yes I have thought about that.

I will post full specs of this box and cards once I have collected the info

Regards
-adam

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Do you think the 16 bays are dependant upon using hardware raid card or could they be substituted for a card that is HBA, as I have no issue in purchasing a new card that would suit freeNAS's needs.
I would tend to think not, but also would have questions/concerns:
  • I would assume it has a backplane for the drives, but is it a SAS Expander?
  • Meaning are there any SFF-8087 ports or is this something that will need individual SATA connections to each individual drive via a breakout cable? If so, then it is going to become a "rats nest" of cabling...
  • If it does have a backplane (or more than one), does the backplane(s) support drives over 2TB? Some older backplanes cannot see any space over 2TB for a single drive (2.2 TB to be exact); so if you were to put in 4TB it would only appear as a 2TB...
  • What Motherboard does yours have? In the eBay link I saw it stated a "Supermicro X8DAH+-F Motherboard", any chance you could let us know?
  • FWIW, I am no SuperMicro expert; but plenty of others here are and they can provide insight once the model is known

I also found this link about adeptec raid cards

http://ask.microsemi.com/app/answer...-raid-controller-but-not-be-used-as-part-of-a

Is this applicable in a greater chance of using this with freeNAS
Off the bat I would say "no". Most Hardware Raid Controllers that claim to be able to present individual drives to an OS in JBOD really don't. FreeNas needs to have direct access to the drives anything less is asking for trouble (and potential Pool/Data loss).

Take a little time to read the "Hardware Recommendations Guide" (download the PDF - Big orange button). Reference the "Hardware RAID Controllers" section that also warns about using them. I would suggest kicking back with a comforting beverage and going over the whole thing to get lots of insight. ;)

Lastly, if you could provide some pictures of the inside and how the drives are connect to the existing cards it would help.

Just going to chime in here on something. The CPU's listed in the OP will not be able to deal with BHYVE. That have to be 5600 series for that so if you have any plans to use VM's you will have to change the CPU's or think of a different box.

Status
Not open for further replies.