Question about scrub threshhold days

Sparkey

Dabbler
My media server doesn't run 24/7, it's mostly fired up as needed but usually remains on for 3 or 4 days. Scrubs are set at default, every 7 days and the threshold days are 35. Does this mean that after 35 days of accumulated on time a scrub will occur or does the system need to be powered on continuously for 35 days for a scrub to occur?

TIA

Does this mean that after 35 days of accumulated on time a scrub will occur or does the system need to be powered on continuously for 35 days for a scrub to occur?
From what I understand, it's based on "calendar" days, not "runtime" days.

The scrub task will run on the next scheduled day/hour (if the previous task was skipped because the system was powered off.)

Sparkey

Dabbler
Thanks. Then something must be wrong. It should have run last night but it did not. I can run a manual scrub with no problem tho.

Any way to fix this?

Then something must be wrong. It should have run last night but it did not.
It depends on when the last scrub was run. Prior to running it manually, what was the reported last scrub date in your pool's status?

You can check the pool's history as well:
zpool history poolname | grep scrub

(It must be run as the root user or with sudo.)

Keep in mind, this will show you every time a scrub command was issued for the pool, automatically scheduled and manually invoked. So the manual scrubs also count towards this "35 day threshold".

Sparkey

Dabbler
This makes no sense. The pool name is Media.

OK, I got it. The pool name is MEDIA all caps.

So I get this. The one scrub listed was a manual scrub. I have no idea why there are no others listed. There have been many others. Maybe an update wiped them out?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-01-08 13-25-07.png
    Screenshot from 2023-01-08 13-25-07.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot from 2023-01-08 13-33-35.png
    Screenshot from 2023-01-08 13-33-35.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I have no idea why there are no others listed.
Re-read my previous post. I think you'll notice where you made the mistake. :wink:

Hint: You used a different zfs command.

Last edited:

Sparkey

Dabbler
Re-read my previous post. I think you'll notice where you made the mistake. :wink:

Hint: You used a different zfs command.

Yea, I caught that and corrected it as you notice.

Guess I'll just run manual scrubs from now on. It's not really a big deal, I just thought it would be nice to set it and forget it.

Guess I'll just run manual scrubs from now on. It's not really a big deal, I just thought it would be nice to set it and forget it.
But what's wrong? Everything's working as expected, right?

Your last scrub was on December 18. It hasn't yet been 35 days since the last scrub. This is why the scheduled scrub task hasn't run yet.

Sparkey

Dabbler
My question was is a scrub triggered by 35 ELAPSED computer on days or absolute 35 calendar days? Since it's set by default to trigger ever 7 days it's confusing to say to least.

Sparkey

Dabbler
OK, I got the answer to my question but It's not showing up in this thread for some reason. Anyway, thanks Warst 1999, this is what I needed to know.